Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question From A Rookie

Default Question From A Rookie

Hey all, sorry if this has been asked before. I did a search for "gold" in thread titles and didn't see anything pertaining to my question and the keyword gold is going to get more hits than would be useful.

I am wondering if there is a safe way to leave gold/gear anywhere. I know I have seen monsters pick up gold and gear in the dungeons before, but am not sure if friendly NPCs do this or not. I am getting over-burdened a lot and am having problems keeping my carrying weight down. Can I drop my gold and potions in Dwarf Town in that random hallway in the NW and expect it to stay safe there?

Thanks!

First, the monstes on a screen don't move as long as you are not on this particular screed, so if you drop something on a staircase and descend right afterwards, it should be quite save. Apart from that, you might consider storing your stuff in Terinyo. The very top row of the map cannot be entered by most NPCs (except the sheriff I think), so if the latter is far away, you can drop a pile up there without danger. Or you could use an empty room in the outlaw settlement and close the door. From my experience all of that works quite well.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Thanks for the suggestions Gordon. I will do as you say. I'm still trying to figure all of this out heh, this is the first time I have ever really needed to worry about having so much gold that it was heavy. Just hit lvl 16 for the first time and am making progress through the Caverns of Chaos.

Oh, so you are already down in the CoC! Then I'd suggest to use the Ogre cave as a storage area! Once cleared it doesn't spawn any new monsters.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Oh right on, good tip I just picked up that quest so I will stash all my stuff in there. Thanks!

Ogre cave for stuff you need when diving deeper into CoC and Old Barbarian's shack for stuff you need in wilderness (especially climbing set(s)). Just be sure Old Barbarian is not few tiles away from the spot you enter and it's safe place. Of course if accident happens he is easy to kill if you can take the aligment hit.
    Last edited by Drifted; 10-30-2014 at 08:23 AM.

Thanks for the advice Drifted. I think the Barb will suit me nicely for now, the CoC is getting a lot harder, very quickly so I won't be going further down just yet.

Am I the only one who takes a pickaxe and a wand of door creation and digs out storage closets in random CoC levels?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Well, the dug holes wouldn't prevent monsters from spawning in said holes, but that is still a decent idea
    You kick the Troll and slay it. Congratulations! You advance to level 4! (more)

Admin powers at their finest.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Am I the only one who takes a pickaxe and a wand of door creation and digs out storage closets in random CoC levels?
    I'd probably find it hard to keep a track of all the stashes, especially when I always try to pass CoC 10-30 only once during the course of the game.
    Backtracking is a pain, especially with nasty stuff in DH.

For storage I usually use the pyramid after Rehetep is destroyed. The place is in central location, quickly accessible from many points of the map and it's perfectly safe as monsters can't run away even if they somehow picked your items up.
    There are no door smashing monsters spawning in the pyramid so once you close off the initial room with wands of door creation and keys, you and your items are perfectly safe.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."