Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you dislike challenge games?

I've tried it a few times, but haven't managed a memorable run yet. Two weeks ago the game crashed when I took off my armor. Last week I died of hunger! :-(

I think they make a nice change, and I'm interested in seeing the global high scores.

I think this is a brilliant idea, as it keeps me returning to the game at least once a week. Considering the enormous difficulty level I'd even consider making them daily rather than weekly—I've yet to dive past dungeon level 10 on any of them even on subsequent tries. The stair-pulling one is particularly brutal; a few adjacent stair rooms (I once spent three levels in a row without killing anything), and you're pretty much guaranteed to be way too underleveled to feasibly survive unless a miracle happens. One advice I can give to others is to explore dark rooms by hugging walls: stairs never spawn immediately next to walls. Blinding oneself or continually casting darkness will similarly prevent stair detection until you stumble right upon them, but obviously it will also prevent being safe. Stairs also have a tendency to spawn at the periphery of the map rather than in the middle, so always explore the middle and the corridors first.

I'm basically completely new to challenge games, and one issue I have is I don't understand what the rules are. The scenario rules are listed (class, race, specials, etc) but it starts in a special version of the infinite dungeon? What are the special rules?

No no, I liked it was on the other

I like the challenge modes to be honest, i've only attempted one of them but then my Adom skills aren't really conducive to taking on challenges, i'll still attempt them though for the lulz

have played some of these as well, but like others say, i get hungry or die too fast before i can get anywhere. if the challenge has increased hunger, i pretty much know i'll die of starvation in a few levels and it kills the interest a little (likewise with forced stairs, i know i'll probably die to a strong monster in a couple levels). once leaderboard support goes up for this and can see how other people are faring, there will be huge increase in interest/participation!

the only time i had anything that couldve been promising was a wizard that found summon monsters, but i died right after i got it! oops... :>

I agree daily would be way better than weekly.

I usually get a good few levels in before dying. I find the dungeons a bit bland (are vaults the only special feature?), the item drop rates very low, and the monster DL scales too fast for me to get very far. Also so many characters with slow HP regeneration is very frustrating.

Personally I'd rather play a splashier game with lots of item drops, pools, statues and some other things.

It would be interesting if the ID for the challenge game of the week was treated like the UD and had extra dungeon features.

Variable dungeons would be great actually! 'Pools and forges will be generated this game.' 'Altars will be generated this game.'

I definitely wouldn't want altars all the time, or even that often, lest it turn into a piety grindfest.

I just tried my first one. Got to I:37, too bad I picked up dooming somewhere around I:15 by bumping into a karmic lizard. That made the rest of the game a living hell

One interesting caveat I noticed was that the first shop I found was a normal one, and once I killed the shopkeeper, all following shops were without prices! I could just walk past the shopkeeper, pick up everything and have 0 debts. They also never seemed to restock.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.