Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Version/Patch Compatibility? Or how to alter font for winbeta version?

Default Version/Patch Compatibility? Or how to alter font for winbeta version?

After getting fed up with being insta-gibbed by randoms mobs hitting me in a blind rage (which I can only assume summons the TotRR and a dozen wishes for speed for them or something) I decided to search for something to fix that. And lo, there was a patch.

But the patch for windows is only for the winbeta version. Which is fine, except I don't like the font in that version, as all the lines are too flimsy and weapons display as empty black squares for some reason.

So what I want to know is if there's either a way to fix the font or if I can run AdomSage with this patch: http://folk.ntnu.no/houeland/adom/. And if so, how.

Running on Windows XP, if that's important.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock View Post
    After getting fed up with being insta-gibbed by randoms mobs hitting me in a blind rage (which I can only assume summons the TotRR and a dozen wishes for speed for them or something) I decided to search for something to fix that. And lo, there was a patch.

But the patch for windows is only for the winbeta version. Which is fine, except I don't like the font in that version, as all the lines are too flimsy and weapons display as empty black squares for some reason.

So what I want to know is if there's either a way to fix the font or if I can run AdomSage with this patch: http://folk.ntnu.no/houeland/adom/. And if so, how.

Running on Windows XP, if that's important.
    Well, I can't answer this question myself, but I wonder, what's everyone's problem with blind rage? I mean, it's just realistic: compare the amount of damage you deal with Normal and Berserk against a worthy foe and you might very well see why the extra loads of damage are justified.

That's not really the same level of difference though. We're talking about going from not even piercing PV to one turn kill. It'd be like me walking into DF at level 10 with my adamantium broadsword, flipping on Berserk and clearing out the golems with one hit each. With a gnome.

Buffering for criticals is reasonable, buffering for enemies randomly doing 10 times their normal damage, not so much.

I've always considered it part of the game myself... the idea of patching this behaviour seems a little weird to me. I'd much rather patch the numerous game-ending crashes that plague winbeta.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I have always considered it a feature. Hey, those guys are actually dying. They are gathering their last forces, trying to go out with a bang. They are desperate, for God's sake! When you go Berserk, most of the time you don't think you're going to die, it's just a strategic setting. A blind rage is much more than berserk, it's the equivalent of what you do when you pray, drink that last potion of ultra healing, etc. I think it's quite logical and fun that an inspired dying enemy can deal lots of damage like that.

Well, I consider it to be considerably less fun when I lose another potential winner I've been playing for hours to a complete fluke of the RNG. This is about as fair and avoidable as gnomes with death wands in nethack. Makes sense somewhat sure, but not at all fair. It's the enemy equivalent to me casting darkness, thus mystically paralyzing enemies who can kill me in half an attack sequence while I murder them with impunity. I'd be ok with it if it were just toned down instead of removed, but no way in hell I'm playing another 20 hours just to lose a character to a werewolf or something that shouldn't even hit me 9 times out ten, let alone do any damage when he does.

no way in hell I'm playing another 20 hours just to lose a character to a werewolf or something that shouldn't even hit me 9 times out ten, let alone do any damage when he does.
    You may want to try an older version. Some of them are better than 1.1.1, IMHO.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Well, I consider it to be considerably less fun when I lose another potential winner I've been playing for hours to a complete fluke of the RNG. This is about as fair and avoidable as gnomes with death wands in nethack. Makes sense somewhat sure, but not at all fair. It's the enemy equivalent to me casting darkness, thus mystically paralyzing enemies who can kill me in half an attack sequence while I murder them with impunity. I'd be ok with it if it were just toned down instead of removed, but no way in hell I'm playing another 20 hours just to lose a character to a werewolf or something that shouldn't even hit me 9 times out ten, let alone do any damage when he does.
    You must be playing a different version than me or something. I've never had a weak monster come even remotely close to killing me in berserk rage. I think I've lost one or two to a berserking ancient dragon or something, but never anything that wasn't a respectable threat to begin with.

It's all par for the course as far as I'm concerned. I never would have considered that it was something that could be removed.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Williams View Post
    You may want to try an older version. Some of them are better than 1.1.1, IMHO.

I've considered that before, but from what I've heard the other options are either quite different (complete lack of talents would feel really weird) or less stable. And dying to a crash is even worse than dying to an imbalancing bug, especially with ADOM's complete lack of backup support. The patch only changes 4 things including a crash, all of them having basically no impact on a normal game. I think I've seen monsters become more powerful killing themselves more often than I've been in melee range with a blind rager. Lost several characters to the ingot bug too, I'm pretty much afraid of picking up ore now.

I've also only died from strong monsters berserking. If you're really worried about it then you can try not meleeing so much.

However as Andy says older versions don't contain this feature. 1.0.0 is still played by a fair few people that don't like berserking monsters and uber jackals. And you can play it with ADOM Sage.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!