Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Version/Patch Compatibility? Or how to alter font for winbeta version?

10 HP? No problem at all for a werewolf, even if not in blind rage!

I'd recheck carefully whether the problem is that you've been underestimating monsters. If you fought a twenty round battle, and the monster is near dead, the possibility that you've been lucky 20 times in a row is always there. If a monster turns to blind rage that you suspect to be capable of killing you, you should switch to coward, walk away for a bit, and wait until it panics. ADOM is all about player experience and not taking unnecessary risks.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

You've both been luckier than me then. I've lost a level 10 character to a bloody berserking jackalwere before.

I'm tempted to download ADOMbot and find out exactly how insane they are when they start raging. The rage you guys are talking about sounds more like what they do when you eat a corpse in front of them. When they do this to me it isn't a matter of just backing off or having kept my hp up before hand. It's losing 80+hp before I get a turn with a character that was taking only ~10 damage a hit previously. The most recent character I lost to this was acid bolting a tension room of ogre lords and was getting hit with criticals for 20. I fired off 2 bolts, and instead of the third killing the close one, it merely enraged it, and I lost the rest of my hp (level ~16 wizard char, herb fed with 25+ PV and probably over 50 DV in coward mode.) It hit me something like 6 times in a row. My last wizard had similar stats clearing out the ogre caves and the ogre lord he found down there died without even getting a crit, and did no damage at all.

Dying to something like the banshee or my recent drowning experience is fair; I can just play differently to avoid the same mistakes in the future. Not ever meleeing anything that won't die in a single hit isn't on the same order of gameplay change. It'd be simpler to scum for a few hundred items in the ID or off gremlins before doing anything. (Which most people seem to think is perfectly reasonable and I think is about as cheap and unfair as you can get while still inside the game.)

I'm quite surprised at the general reaction to this. If enemies had a 1 in (fairly big number) chance of doing 15x damage with a single hit with no warning at all, would you defend that too? That's pretty much what this has been for me. Do you guys think that's a reasonable part of the game or you've just never been that unlucky?

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    There's a guaranteed source of water breathing on the lowest level of the Rift.
    Nice to see this confirmed. I wast almost sure, because I always find it when I go there, but I hadn't seen it written anywhere so I wasn't sure. (I also thought there was guaranteed eternium armour in Darkforge until someone told me otherwise recently).

I think this would also be a nice addition to the Guidebook, I haven't seen it in there and it can be a significant reason to go to the Rift.

Stormlock, the berserking you experience is the same we all experience. It usually involves the enemy getting quadruple actions in a round, with a higher chance of criticals. However we all know to avoid being in close quarters with low hp enemies, especilaly if you're given the message about them panicking. Doing it too often is tempting fate. Many of the bosses are far more of a threat because of it (trying melee a berserking ACW that gets numerous powerful corrupting attacks per turn, numerous energy rays and can heal itself too!) Still, it's very rare to die from it if you take the right precautions, in particular having high defense and not letting yourself go below half hp (personally I prefer not to be below 75&#37.

50 DV on coward is not high - I suggest training shields a lot more. There's no reason to stand next to ogre lords when bolting them, you could have kept your distance and been safe. You could have also used invis to stop them being able to attack you. If they were getting criticals for 20 then it should have rung some warning bells, especially if an attack for 80 can kill you. It should be noted that not all enemies are equal in level too - ogre lords in one area may be more powerful than others. In particular threat rooms, vaults and mixed tension rooms can have higher than normal levels of enemies, and you need to be careful with them.

As for changing colours in winbeta, I don't think it's possible. Unfortunately I'm a few thousand miles from my Windows machine at the moment to check.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!