Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Version/Patch Compatibility? Or how to alter font for winbeta version?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock View Post
    I've considered that before, but from what I've heard the other options are either quite different (complete lack of talents would feel really weird) or less stable. And dying to a crash is even worse than dying to an imbalancing bug, especially with ADOM's complete lack of backup support. The patch only changes 4 things including a crash, all of them having basically no impact on a normal game. I think I've seen monsters become more powerful killing themselves more often than I've been in melee range with a blind rager. Lost several characters to the ingot bug too, I'm pretty much afraid of picking up ore now.
    Older versions are not necessarily less stable. Especially when compared to the winbeta! I would get rid of that and play the DOS version in DOSBox if necessary. ADOM was around for years before Talents. I never missed them and don't think they add a lot to the game as a whole.

I think my main gripe with 1.1.1 would be the to-hit calculation. It's ridiculous for a level 15 PC to swing several times at a rat and miss. I don't think I've had a PC die to a berserking monster since I recently started playing again.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

> I don't like the font in that version, as all the lines are too flimsy
    > and weapons display as empty black squares for some reason.

I think only crystal daggers display as black squares. Anyway, can't
    you just set a different font from your properties settings?

Here is a topic I started some time ago to get ADOM looking good
    on windows vista, and maybe you can find something in there that
    can help you.

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...erfect+looking
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

It's the enemy equivalent to me casting darkness, thus mystically paralyzing enemies who can kill me in half an attack sequence while I murder them with impunity.
    You're okay with doing that, but if the enemy does it to you it's a flawed feature and must be patched?

I'd be ok with it if it were just toned down instead of removed, but no way in hell I'm playing another 20 hours just to lose a character to a werewolf or something that shouldn't even hit me 9 times out ten, let alone do any damage when he does.
    If you're not willing to lose a character at any single point of the game, why are you playing ADOM? There are all kinds of new supergames with flashy graphics, a stupefied AI and an autosaving+on-demand saving system. There is a problem if you lose a character you worked 20 hours on to a werewolf, though. Maybe you just aren't a good player? Or maybe you just faced a werewolf king in reality?

Did I just miss something?

Can someone please clarify me how to change the font?

I refuse to post the same link twice in one thread.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Sorry about that. It seems that im too stupid to not figure out in the other thread and then replying to the wrong one T_T

Quote Originally Posted by Maul View Post
    You're okay with doing that, but if the enemy does it to you it's a flawed feature and must be patched?

If you're not willing to lose a character at any single point of the game, why are you playing ADOM? There are all kinds of new supergames with flashy graphics, a stupefied AI and an autosaving+on-demand saving system. There is a problem if you lose a character you worked 20 hours on to a werewolf, though. Maybe you just aren't a good player? Or maybe you just faced a werewolf king in reality?
    Ideally I'd have both things toned down. Killing the water orb boss without it moving because I have a single casting of a low level spell is stupid too. They should at least stumble around or move slowly or something. The berserk thing is a cool concept but it either shouldn't be so powerful or should be avoidable in some way besides 'never stand next to an injured creature ever'. The fact that ADOM has fewer unpredictable instakills than most RLs is what I like about it. I don't mind dying so much if I made a mistake, but dying from the ADOM equivalent of "The arrow was poisoned. The poison was deadly... DYWYII?" takes all the fun out.

The second part of your post is just you flaming and calling me a liar. Go fuck yourself too.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I think only crystal daggers display as black squares. Anyway, can't
    you just set a different font from your properties settings?

Here is a topic I started some time ago to get ADOM looking good
    on windows vista, and maybe you can find something in there that
    can help you.

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...erfect+looking
    Yeah, you were right about the black square thing. It seemed worse than it was because I found 2 of them very quickly when I started my first character on it.

I already read through the topic there before I even registered, but it's about how to fix up the dos version. And my dos version already looks nice and blocky. I'm sort of getting used to the winbeta version now though, although the colours are throwing me off a bit and the text is annoyingly faint. I've tried setting things in the config file but it doesn't seem to have any effect, and I can't imagine changing the dos fonts would help for the winbeta version right? Haven't had a crash with it yet, just ran a character as far as I've ever gotten, then

Code:

drowned in the lake cave. Not quite sure how, as my last turn alive was spent 
    drinking an uncursed !oEH, and I figured it had to be a fair bit stronger than the
     blessed spenseweed I was using that was keeping me about even. Maybe I'll 
    just use the orb next time. Assuming next time is just as screwed up. Very 
    weird game. 3 precrowns (Had like 4 altars before big room, 2 of which were 
    auto-pacified by vaults across a river) wish and bunch of nice intrinsics from 
    pools (Including the tele control I couldn't get from blink dogs somehow). Even
     had a book shop to give me a ton of handy spells. The precrowns were all
     junky spears but they made convenient ratling fodder. But not one means 
    of water breathing the whole game. Was hoping to find something in the stash
     to breathe with and come back for the rest later.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock
    Yeah, you were right about the black square thing. It seemed worse than it was because I found 2 of them very quickly when I started my first character on it.
    It also happens sometimes if the character is invisible, such as, for example, if you step on an atlar.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormlock
    Code:

drowned in the lake cave. Not quite sure how, as my last turn alive was spent 
    drinking an uncursed !oEH, and I figured it had to be a fair bit stronger than the
     blessed spenseweed I was using that was keeping me about even. Maybe I'll 
    just use the orb next time. Assuming next time is just as screwed up. Very 
    weird game. 3 precrowns (Had like 4 altars before big room, 2 of which were 
    auto-pacified by vaults across a river) wish and bunch of nice intrinsics from 
    pools (Including the tele control I couldn't get from blink dogs somehow). Even
     had a book shop to give me a ton of handy spells. The precrowns were all
     junky spears but they made convenient ratling fodder. But not one means 
    of water breathing the whole game. Was hoping to find something in the stash
     to breathe with and come back for the rest later.

Uncursed potions of healing of any sort are basically worthless. The spenseweed was probably better.

There's a guaranteed source of water breathing on the lowest level of the Rift.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Ideally I'd have both things toned down. Killing the water orb boss without it moving because I have a single casting of a low level spell is stupid too. They should at least stumble around or move slowly or something. The berserk thing is a cool concept but it either shouldn't be so powerful or should be avoidable in some way besides 'never stand next to an injured creature ever'. The fact that ADOM has fewer unpredictable instakills than most RLs is what I like about it. I don't mind dying so much if I made a mistake, but dying from the ADOM equivalent of "The arrow was poisoned. The poison was deadly... DYWYII?" takes all the fun out.
    Personally, as long as I had relatively good health and was a good melee character, I never got berserk-killed by anything much weaker than my level. And your way to avoid it is precisely the kind of carefulness that is needed to play ADOM... doing something that has a bigger chance to result in death than usual isn't wise to do here.

The second part of your post is just you flaming and calling me a liar. Go fuck yourself too.
    Thank you for your kind words, but we may have a misunderstanding here. It is very possible for example, that you were killing what you thought to be a werewolf/lord tension room, and accidentally ran into a werewolf king. Or, once again, you may have just been low on hitpoints and decided not to look at it since you thought werewolves are easy. (That kind of attitude can kill you all the time.)

Although yes, I do have a problem with how you complain about dying. You probably experienced much more unfair or unexpected deaths before (maybe you went through the banshee level unspoiled? Whatever...), you should know that this is not a game for the impatient.

Talking about the subject of the thread, I can't but agree with what Maul said. In fact, when I started reading it, I was just thinking: How can anyone complain about a game feature and say it's a bug?

As most people here, I've only died to things like werewolf kings, ancient dragons and such monsters in a blind rage. And even then, I knew my character wasn't strong enough, so I souldn't be doing that. When you melee really powerful monsters, you should know what they're capable of doing, and how strong is your character. And not blame it on an imaginary bug. No rat or werewolf will kill you if your level is above 10 and you have more than 10 hp (unless they step in a fireball trap :P).