Thread: Inappropriate Crowning Gifts

Default Inappropriate Crowning Gifts

So I recently won the game with an Assassin who got crowned with Death's Blade, which struck me as an odd gift for a class that sneaks around stabbing people and gets special bonuses for backstabbing and critical hits. I'm guessing it just got put in because it's got the word "Death" in it's name, not because it's in any way suited for the Assassin class. I was going to RFE either getting it replaced with a more appropriate weapon/item (even Cat's Claw is slightly more appropriate, albeit a huge FU from the RNG ), or just having it removed and having, say, Kinslayer or Serpent's Bite given an extra chance instead, but I decided to expand it to an RFE about inappropriate crowning gifts in general and wanted some input.

Archer: Boots of the Divine Messenger are a little odd, but since they increase Dx I suppose it makes some sense.
    Assassin: Death's Blade. Why would a sneaky, back-stabby assassin use a giant claymore to hack his enemies apart?
    Bard: Cat's Claw doesn't make much sense here. I remember a pretty great RFE for an artifact lute, which I think would be an appropriate replacement.
    Druid: Whirlwind is a little out there, but not contradictory or anything, so it's good I guess.

And so on.

Vanquisher on Necro always seemed odd to me.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Cat's Claw and Whirlwind sound quite fine to me... we know from Kethrax' example that Druids have some kind of affinity with slings. I agree on Death's Blade and Vanquisher though.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

My only problem with Death's Blade is that it's lackluster as an artifact. Not really that different aside from eternium 2H-sword.

As for fitting or not i find it hillarious. Imagine - tiny invisible 1lb hurthling assassin sneaking after someone, readying to slit his target throat. Suddenly! He pulls out 400lbs giant sword (or better 1200 lbs cow axe) and smashes the target into a pulp. Assassination complete.
    On a serious note - who says that assassins should always strike from the shadows? Sometimes stealth does not work, but you can't just ignore the contract, and then you remember that you have the (supposedly) perfect tool to simply kill people. And your actual class powers allow you to simply walk around and kill people.

Now Vanquisher on Necro is really strange from gameplay from both lore and gameplay reason. Kinslayer is at least elegant (probably) one-handed black long sword. Perfect for parading around looking cool.

your deity is trying to please you with inappropriate.. gifts.. wink wink nudge nudge
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Yeah, I always assumed Death's Blade was an attempt to provide RP possibilities for assassins. Just see the manual section on Duelists, where TB shows how different "dueling" can be for different races.

Not that I like this weapon, especially as a crowning gift, because my personal idea of assassin gameplay most certainly does not involve killing people with a BFS (only the cow axe for balance reasons )

As for other things (some already mentioned):
    1) Cat's Claw for Bards (I get that their crowning pool is a random assortment of shitty/below average artifacts, but seriously)
    2) Staff of the Archmagi for Elementalists
    3) Shezetriakis for Merchants (I have a really serious doubt that someone with a mindset of a Merchant would like a pair of autocursing gauntlets)
    4) Skillcrusher for Weaponsmiths (I see no lore connection whatsoever), Perion's (come on, they can smith much more impressive sets)
    5) Double Whirlwind for Thieves (again, no lore connection)
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.