Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One in a billion?

Default One in a billion?

"You feel a surge of power. You feel a surge of power. (more)"

Long Sting and silver key on PC:5.

*And* scorched spear in the Black Market.

Should I just give up on ADOM now? There is no way the RNG is ever going to give me an artifact ever again...

The most implausible thing is that none of them was the Black Tome.

Wow, that's pretty nuts. I didn't know you could get multiple surge of powers in a single room! I wouldn't write off the RNG yet for handing out artifacts, just remember that if more artifacts are generated (e.g. guaranteed greater vaults) the pool for the better artifacts has increased in size vs the pool of shoddy ones now that you've gotten Long Sting and the scorched spear out of the way...

I like the Silver Key though. That's nice
    Gate Closers
    Snarky - male dwarven paladin (lawful, L46) - Sel'yn - female grey elven wizard (neutral, L35) - Malicious - male dark elven beastfighter (chaotic, L35) - Telariel - female high elven priestess (lawful, L37) - Poppy - female human assassin (neutral, L50) - Orkboy - male orcish barbarian (neutral, L33)

Quote Originally Posted by mimhoff View Post
    "You feel a surge of power. You feel a surge of power. (more)"
    Holy f...

I once got two wishes in a row from a pool, but what you have just done is more or less like buying two different lottery tickets and winning the jackpot on both.
    "And light there be!"

Except he didn't buy lottery tickets, he was just minding his business; so it's more like he was randomly eligible to some lotteries and won twice without even trying.

At this point, stay close to your diety, it's the only thing that can protect you from the RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexedian View Post
    At this point, stay close to your diety, it's the only thing that can protect you from the RNG.
    Contrary to hearsay, the past does not matter to the RNG; "didst ye know? Fate has no memory".
    If you throw 6 on 1d6 a thousand times, the chance to throw 6 the 1001th time is still 1/6th. In retrospect, the chance to throw 6 1001 times is (1/6)^1001 = 0, but given the first 1000 throws it's 1/6th

Quote Originally Posted by Moeba View Post
    Contrary to hearsay, the past does not matter to the RNG; "didst ye know? Fate has no memory".
    If you throw 6 on 1d6 a thousand times, the chance to throw 6 the 1001th time is still 1/6th. In retrospect, the chance to throw 6 1001 times is (1/6)^1001 = 0, but given the first 1000 throws it's 1/6th
    Given the 1000 previous rolls i'd strongly suspect heavily weighted dice, or a dice with 6 on all sides.

But having two surges of power in same level... The odds for having two artifacts randomly generated on the floor are pretty slim, maybe not one in a billion but one in a million (games) may come close.

That's crazy. I have only had 1 surge of power before. 1 pulsing surge on another game. 2 surges on one floor is insane!!!
    Gate Closers:
    Dwarf Monk (p17), Dwarf Paladin (p23), Gnome Duelist (r49), Dark Elf Barbarian (r50), High Elf Archer (r51)

I didn't even know that was possible. Wonder if 2 is the upper limit, or even 3 is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeba View Post
    It depends on whether the event is random or pseudo-random...in most games, rolls are pseudo-random, so in a way, the RNG DOES have a memory!
    i played a game in which crits are pseudo-random and hence it is a legit strategy to hit neutrals till for a while you dont crit them and then go to battle!