Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Incredible Starts

I just had a hurthling priest start with 12 St, 18 Le, 20 To, spellbook of Hellish Flames. Black market had AoLS AND 7LB. First kill in Holeinthewall was an assassin, taking me to level 2 and dropping a spellbook of minor punishment. When I went to SMC to try to find the stairs to UD, got to level 5, and the RNG stuck me between a wererat and a jackalwere.

Figures.

One of my favorites that I remember was one game where the Black Market had a wand of teleportation and Skullcrusher for sale--I think I was a drakeling fighter or something. I picked up both (and a few other things), then "accidentally" used the wand of teleportation and left town.

I think that character died in the UD due to paralysis. The ones with the great starts never seem to work out for me.

I'm currently playing a hurthling farmer who started with 5 herb seeds. Honestly, I'm more happy about that than getting an early artifact. [edit]Although to be fair, that character has since been precrowned with Hammerhead and Protector, has found 7lbs, and on the level after Dwarftown, I just saw the message "You feel excited. You feel a surge of power. Ok-Luth, the dark orc, picks up the shining silver bracers."
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 07-17-2009 at 02:19 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

A little while ago while I was rolling up dwarven paladins for Ironman attempts, I got one who through some confluence of ridiculous improbabilities started out with a PV of 24. Dwarven palas are excellently geared to begin with (hence me choosing one for a run at an Ironman), and you know how every now and then a rolled char will pop up with one particular item - once in a thousand times perhaps even two - of far greater than normal quality? That had happened to almost every item this guy was carrying.

The [-4, +7] plate mail was [-4, +10]; the [+1, +1] horned helmet was [+1, +4]; the [+0, +1] gauntlets were [+0, +3]; the [-1, +1] iron boots [-1, +4]; he had been generated with a nonguaranteed medium shield; and lastly he had two additional points of PV due to being rolled with a To of 26.

If anyone had been watching on the server at the time they would probably have realised how astounded I was by the way I started the game up, took a couple of steps towards the ID, suddenly paused for a second, then spent about five minutes paging back and forth between the main screen and inventory in bafflement. It goes without saying that I didn't win with him, but my memory fails me as to quite how I managed to get him killed.

Continuing on the previously mentioned character, trying to get Teleport Control. I can't seem to remember the best way to find Blink Dogs. Is it better to wait and use the Big Room, or should I just explore ID:4-6 repeatedly, or somewhere thereabouts?
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Blink dogs can be found as low as D:3, I believe. I would probably use the Big Room anyway, myself, since the monster generation is considerably higher. You can farm some herbs while you wait if nothing else.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

OH GOD. It continues! Herbs on DDL of everything I needed, and I just got my first useful artifact in the Pyramid...and it's not the Wrapping or the Ankh. I got a random mummy I killed on lv2 to drop me...a jet-black battle axe. My eyes went O.O and then I went <(^.^)>.

Oh, and no luck on the blink dogs yet, although I haven't even entered the CoC yet. I did manage to get plenty of herbs on the DDL though.
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

I recall having a Troll Barbarian start with a strength of 38. He also got three talents (because he was either Candle or Falcon-born, and because of the stats-divisible-by-7 thing), so I got him the claymore heir gift. He proceeded to clear PC and either DD or VD (forgot which one I chose) with no effort, killing everything in either one or two hits, until the big room in the CoC. There, I encountered a very lucky quasit, who got several "punches through armor and hits you" hits in a row, draining my strength down into the mid 20's. I withered inside.

Heh, my incredibly lucky character was doing so well, and probably would've continued to do so well, if I hadn't underestimated the threat of the Bug Temple. I had never been there before, and thought I would go there to check it out, never thinking to make myself invisible or anything. Ended up nearly being killed upon diving inside and using a prayer to bring myself back to full, only to get knocked down to about half health again. I tried fireballing my offenders away, but I ended up dying as it killed none of them, and they all kept punching through my armor and hitting my 90ish DV. Sigh, was going so well too.
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

I believe invisiblity or darkness does not help against the greater claw bugs in the temple. The bug-infested temple is probably one of the most dangerous areas in the game - especially the start. You should have Wi of at least 32, well trained ball spells or loads of hit points and damage resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Xevoc View Post
    I believe invisiblity or darkness does not help against the greater claw bugs in the temple. The bug-infested temple is probably one of the most dangerous areas in the game - especially the start. You should have Wi of at least 32, well trained ball spells or loads of hit points and damage resistance.
    What do you mean by 'damage resistance'? If you're talking about PV, that doesn't make a difference as all bug-type enemies always punch through armor.