Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback of my first challenge of the week

Default Feedback of my first challenge of the week

Just played my first challenge of the week. Definitely enjoyed it, still here's some pieces of criticism that came to my mind:

- when starting the challenge of the week, I think that I did not get any hint that I would not be able to ascend any stairs. So I directly dove down and wasted a complete level. Also it took me some time to figure out that I was actually inside the ID
    - which takes me to the interface. I heaviely missed any indication of the name and the level of the dungeon I was in
    - on the main screan I couldn't find any means to check the exact number of my hitpoints and mana points. Always pressing AltGr+Q is somehow anoying
    - by hovering the mouse over the character-level number, I don't get any explanation of what it does. Instead it highlights together with the class button on the left of it
    - I missed some kind of experience-indication that shows me how far I am still away from the next level-up. Guess at the moment pressing Shift+X is the only way to find out about that, which is also a little anoying (probably it could be done by hovering the mouse over the character-level indicator)
    - when kicking a door, the sound has some kind of a big hall effect. The sound of finally destroying the door sounds rather dry in comparison, so both sounds don't fit together very well
    - the level-up screan appears very rapidly after killing a monster and actually it's almost impossible to read the kill message or watch the kill before. For unexperienced players it might be a little confusing to realize what just happened.
    Last edited by GordonOverkill; 12-18-2014 at 07:10 PM.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Decided not to make my own thread since likely not gonna play a lot anyway...

1. If current ammo stack ends and game tries reload it waits for y/n input. Which would be normal except it gives question only after receiving input, first time I thought game crashed.
    2. Might be me playing with graphics for like second time but I was unable locate things like hungry/bloated status and burden levels at all. [I guess some asterisks above char are suppossed to help but personally for me not having these things at least in some secondary menu is straight unaceptable].
    3. Is where an option to switch graphical mode of in steam version?

@Gordon

- HP and PP bars with numerical values will likely make a comeback, graphics are already there. Same for the dungeon indicator. Alignment hunger and burden are being discussed. For example in my case the small status-like prompts for hunger and burden are enough, but quite a few people feel the same way you do.

Relevant issues, a good place to make your voice heard :

http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3475 (alignment)
    http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3478 (dungeon level)
    http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3477 (satiation

- Reload y/n issue is known:
    http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3484

- We might expand the tooltip for the class window to something like "character + level" or just separate the class and level boxes altogether.
    - Good point about XP, I was thinking about adding an XP bar along with HP and PP.
    - I agree wholeheartedly about the door sound One has a clear echo, the other is flat. Reported it to Soundwizard...but I guess I'll mention it again just in case
    - Level up screen thing is known:
    http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3483

Will likely add a "level up" splash or other effect with a "space to continue" prompt or something similar.

@Soirana:

F10 should take you directly to ASCII at any point in the game.

About the missing interface stuff in general: it was a conscious decision to get rid of as much stuff as possible and bring it back step by step based on feedback and our own impressions. We're not only testing, we're experimenting on you guys
    Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmore View Post
    About the missing interface stuff in general: it was a conscious decision to get rid of as much stuff as possible and bring it back step by step based on feedback and our own impressions. We're not only testing, we're experimenting on you guys
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Very strange decision for PC game. If that was for Android sure, but for PC I do not recall in any game much complaining about having access [especially via extras menus] to meaningful stuff.

Do you seriously think current minimized interface would be acceptable to newish player?

edit: After 6 loads [3 challenge game, 3 normal] game still tries update my direct X every time. Like seriously?
    Last edited by Soirana; 12-19-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Who knows on what platform will ADOM end up in the future
    We don't assume anything, we just picked a starting point and went from there

Who knows on what platform will ADOM end up in the future
    We don't assume anything, we just picked a starting point and went from there
    This is steam version release we speak about, right? Last time I checked steam is for PC games [or at least PC game versions]strictly.

In general I consider games using penalties/bonuses for non displayable stats being biggest sin in game design.
    So giving penalties [primary speed] for burden/satiation which are not shown at all and not displaying stuff like alignment [good luck figuring if you are eligible for lawful crowning before putting money in] is certainly not improvement in my eyes.

That's why its a beta To get feedback like this and improve!

Please see the latest posts in this thread for ideas on making the UI HUD more detailed. I thing there's been a so far unanimous agreement that the HUD is too minimalistic for Steam. After all - this is the Steam release, not the Google Play release or the Apple Store release. The HUD as is might be okay for a tablet (after a few essentials like alignment and DL are fixed), but is way to sparse for desktop/laptop gamers. (i.e, Steam users)

That's why its a beta To get feedback like this and improve!
    Thanks for your hard work and great attitude btw. It must be hard with all the criticism of the new UI, but I actually really love it for the most part and think you guys did a great job with it. There just needs to be more of it!

For the interface, I think that the missing health and mana scores are indeed a serious problem. Without knowing the exact health score it is very risky to encounter dangerous early game enemies and also you never know for sure if you have got the coward speed bonus or not. Without knowing the exact mana score you cannot tell if you can still get a last casting of an important spell out without casting from HP. Both things can be critical for survival, so I definitely think that unexperienced (and also experienced) players should have easy access to the scores.

The allignment is also very important for it tells you if you can step upon an altar with or without risking to be sacrificed. Also I think that it might be very tough for a new player to find out that there actually IS something like allignment that plays a role in the game.

For the different status effects, it didn't take me very long to find out that pressing shift gives you a description of the symbols above your health bar, so I don't think that's a very big problem. What I would appreciate though is some kind of easy to recognize notification in the center of the screen when an important status change happens (like getting hungry, poisoned etc.). It's just very hard to always pay attention if or if not a very tiny icon appears above your character. Yesterday as well as today it happened several times that I didn't realize my character's groving hunger untill he was very hungry or even starving. Could probably be the same with poison or sickness if I didn't know which enemies could do that to me.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners