Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Grand New UI Thread: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I have a couple of suggestions based on a few hours of play in R55, too minor to count as bugs/features:

The Frost Bolt spell looks too much like a lightning bolt. I think it would be better if it used the fire bolt shape but with a different palette.

There is no satiation display--I notice when I get hungry but not when I'm satiated or bloated (aside from reading the message after eating, but it would be nice to be able to look it up)

It would be nice to be able to choose the font face and size of the scrolling message area. I find the serif hard to read; I'd like to change it to san-serif bold personally, but that's a personal thing. I couldn't find an option for this in the NotEye menus.

Casting a spell over an animated water tile noticably slows the spell animation too.

Playing since gamma 10, when necklaces looked like &s. Lithium man. Brass + Lithium. OCG. Illiterate barb. One race and one class to go.

Hello, I really like that you have resumed progress on ADOM and am much appreciative. Thank you, it's a magnificent game.

The first thing I noticed with the new UI is that it likes to crash, lol: When the pop-up asks if you want to place an item you puck up to be placed in your ammunition slot, on the tooltip when the pic of the monster is clicked, the message from the food vendor "Isn't that nice?" or something to that effect. Possibly more but I turned these messages of to progress.

Some UI specific things I'd like to mention. Customization of the right-click; creating a white-list of what may appear when right-clicked, when acceptable. Currently I noticed when something is right-clicked a specific menu appears at different times, i.e. the difference between clicking on the PC and NPC, different options are available. I would really like to be able to modify this list myself. An example, currently I can't "t"arget and enemy or door(even if I have a Huge Rock at the ready), and I would like to remove some options from when I click my PC to stream-line game play("@") as it feels like clutter on my screen.
    The tool-tip on the mouse-over is nice but it really gets in the way, a lot, especially since the monster-icon crashes the game when it's clicked. I would have liked to disable this but I find it hard to find this option, which will lead me to another point in a moment. To fix this may I suggest that the information be placed in a static or fixable location on the screen. Although the information is excellent, being directly over the object adds clutter to the combat area and can be distracting.

The options for this game are myriad, and frankly staggering, not that that's a bad thing. It's just that with so much customization, fluidity and clarity of information is more important than usual. An example of this is the FAQ itself. Currently the format is setup: Q, Q, Q, Q, then A, A, A, A,. I've found the standard Q,A; Q,A; Q,A; Q,A;, is superior as it allows for the writers themselves to more easily reference the question as the answer is being written and leaves less room for error. Much like the auto-pick-up, where do I put it? It's been a while since I played and now I have to research this, again, lol. The reason I bring this up here is that I would like to be able to adjust all these possibilities through the UI, somehow. The most simple way I can think of is; while the game is running, within options, using a white-list of acceptable files to choose from, open "X.NOE", save the text file, and forcing a restart if needed. There are more attractive options for this, but this would be a quick and dirty fix to get people fiddling with the files without having to navigate their OS. On a side note, the process of consolidation of information should help with progress in future endeavors.
    Lastly, and finally, and this is probably on a list already, is the UI is unadjustable and only works in 'tiles' mode. Can it be detached to point of calling it regardless of visual mode?

I've got some old and some new notes based on my brief dalliance with this latest beta, but since they're not all UI-related I've posted them in a seperate thread. If you're interested, see it here:

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...s-for-Dev-Team
    You constantly practice. You feel exhausted!

I wonder if Dogbreath would be interested in updating his original post

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmore View Post
    Just a heads-up: the new UI can also show your stats, just like the original one. They don't fit in the default 800x500 window, but if you enlarge it or go fullscreen Zeno's crafty magic will do its best to show as many PC stats as will fit on your screen
    Is there any way to view your alignment on a 1024x768 resolution? It seems not to fit. I can just barely see all of my stats, so alignment is probably supposed to be shown to the right of them?

If it is possible to disable the stats from being shown, so that there is room for displaying alignment, that would be great. Or any other solution.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 12-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.