Thread: stupid things

Default stupid things

now i know i should be careful when i play ADOM, but why in the seven hells would my archer target by default the peaceful shopkeeper leggot, instead of the hostile afraid mimic running away from him?

I can't tell you how mad i am . Every time i have a promising char going, some stupid shit has to get into my way.

I was precrowned with the trusted one, at lvl8, which is an awesome sword for an archer imo, especially at that level, when i didn't have any resistances, but i guess even later in the game it would've served me well.

I was doing very well and of course this stupid thing had to happen, i just hit T twice, to kill that damn mimic faster and get on with it, but died a stupid death instead.

Has this stupid behaviour changed in newer prereleases? i am playing 23

Oh no, I still do stupid risky or careless things. Especially with new characters. My high elf ranger with great stats and equip just HAD to keep on exploring the SMC to see what was around the next corner. My gnome elementalist just had to keep praying for cursed item removal (and got his entire inventory cursed and piety down to zero.) And so on and so forth.

In recent versions (currently playing R51), the game asks for confirmation if you target a non-hostile creature.
    Helps quite a bit.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

The game usually targets the last target by default, and I can't remember any instance of shopkeepers being considered valid targets. Are you sure you didn't fire at the mimic and the shopkeeper was standing in the path of the missile?

this has happened many times to me where i accidentally target shopkeepers cause i dont use missile combat a lot, but i have learnt to pause before i fire next to shopkeeper...

Quote Originally Posted by Hexedian View Post
    The game usually targets the last target by default, and I can't remember any instance of shopkeepers being considered valid targets. Are you sure you didn't fire at the mimic and the shopkeeper was standing in the path of the missile?
    yes, i meleed the mimic until it panic'ed (i had -para) and i wanted to finish it off.

Maybe you targeted the mimic but the shopkeeper was in the missile path?
    I once killed the cute puppy that way. :-s Needless to say, I never went to talk to the little girl again in that game.

I had this happen to me with the dwarftown priest. Lost a character the same way.

I think in my case it was because there was a doorframe blocking LOS to the priest. Something about the fact that LOS was blocked prevented the confirmation message for attacking a friendly target. The arrow fired without asking if I was sure, the arrow hit the doorframe, and dwarftown went hostile.
    Maybe the mimic was in between this player and the shopkeeper, and due to blocked line of sight, the same bug occured?
    My orc thief just died.

You might want to add this issues to this thread: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3396

There are still a number of oddities/issues with the way missiles work in ADOM that should be addressed.