Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help needed

Default help needed

great vault.jpg

can anyone please tell me what are these monsters? i'm a DE wizard, should i take on them or come back later? i don't have a whole lot of spells either.

Any advice is appreciated.

also, i think my laptop doesn't show colors normally, since even the tiny girl is more orange than red, compared to my work computer.

ok,i tackled it from afar, started meleeing an ogre lord, with my mithril hammer of mayhem, until he smashed a critical on me which left me with 36 health, them i procedeed to use magic, after killing a couple of them ogre lords and hill giants and fomorian giants, i got a cloak of invisibility. According to the wiki, none of them giants see invisible, i guess this increases my odds significantly, right?

Or would it still be a better idea to run away and come back later?

You're fine as long as you don't open the central room too early - fire giant kings, frost giant jarls and titans, which are inside, are quite a bit more powerful than the rabble outside. also, prioritize your spells over melee fighting if you do open the central vault.

it's definitely worth it to do it - possible artifacts, lots of xp [especially since you'll have lots of titans facing you] and tons of random loot, but if you feel like you cannot manage just come back around level 24-25

I did it, i didn't even see what's inside the central room, i only have a vision radius of 6, just cleared everything around it with magic missile and burning hands, then opened one gate and blasted magic missile over and over again, until only a handful of monsters remained.

i got out of it with Crown of leadership, Justifier and Vanquisher, a ring of elemental mastery [+0;+0], a ring of slaying(+6; +6) and some other useful stuff.

Also got bracers of war earlier in the caves, from a tension room of black dragons, which was also cleared with magic missile and burning hands (love this spell so far).

I got from lvl 17 to 21 until i got to the final level (3 levels only from the GGV), but i made the mistake not to open the final level before tackling the GGV, but it doesn't matter, i guess.

The big question now is, should i keep Vanquisher for special cases and use some one-handed weapon+shield, or just go nuts with it?

Edit: Apparently, i need about 3 hits with Vanquisher to kill a White Baby Dragon and even more for a Frost giant berserker,but that can be because i have no marks in two-handed weapons.
    Last edited by Dlightfull; 01-03-2015 at 10:13 PM.

Remember to eat any giant corpses for potential STR gains. You can get up to about 25 that way. For now you may want to go around with burden level of Strained! to get your str up to 18. May also want to use a wish for a Girdle of Giant Strength which should get you about 12 by wearing it. Then equip the fire orb in the tool slot for another 10.

Why do all this? Along with the tactics skill and setting your tactics to Very Aggressive, this can vastly increase your to hit and to damage numbers for when you want to fight in melee. Although as a wizard you shouldn't do it too often until/unless you have really good DV/PV and only against things you know you can take.

3 hits with vanquisher to kill a white baby dragon? Do you have Coward setting and Shezestriakis gauntlets on?

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    Remember to eat any giant corpses for potential STR gains. You can get up to about 25 that way. For now you may want to go around with burden level of Strained! to get your str up to 18. May also want to use a wish for a Girdle of Giant Strength which should get you about 12 by wearing it. Then equip the fire orb in the tool slot for another 10.

Why do all this? Along with the tactics skill and setting your tactics to Very Aggressive, this can vastly increase your to hit and to damage numbers for when you want to fight in melee. Although as a wizard you shouldn't do it too often until/unless you have really good DV/PV and only against things you know you can take.

3 hits with vanquisher to kill a white baby dragon? Do you have Coward setting and Shezestriakis gauntlets on?
    my strengthhas reached its potential maximum, i have eaten all the giant and ogre lord corpses that i had found, but only got 1 point of strength. If i do get a wish, i think i will get the AoLS first, i really want to save the dying sage, although i don't really need his goods.

3 hits was with very aggressive tactics.

I stumbled upon a 11x5 tension room of quickling kings, i thought it's the end of me, but they couldn't really hit me (103 DV on coward) and 32Wi Lightning Ball made short work of them, i think my next destination is Darkforge .

Edit: killed Haggar with 2 alchemy explosions xD
    Last edited by Dlightfull; 01-04-2015 at 07:36 AM.

After clearing darkforge and Fire temple, i got killed by a giant dragon turtle, being carelless in the underwater cave, knowing that no one sees invisible .

This is as stupid playing as it can get. There are literally countless awesome chars lost due to my carelessness and recklessness .

Its water breath killed me, i thought if i am invisible they don't use their water breathing.
    Last edited by Dlightfull; 01-04-2015 at 11:22 AM.

for the record, that was a greater giant vault, which is by far the easiest vault, and the best vault if you are not too greedy (ordinary ending characters). there are no titans in GGVs. Vanquisher is the best 2 handed non guaranteed weapon if you dont have find weakness. giant dragon turtles cant see invis unless you hit them. if you want to talk to blups mom, you should always tp to her and tp back cause you cant steal nething from that cave neways! die and learn is the rule of adom so next time be careful!!
    " Its water breath killed me, i thought if i am invisible they don't use their water breathing."...thats darkness not invis

Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull View Post
    Its water breath killed me, i thought if i am invisible they don't use their water breathing.
    They shouldn't if you haven't aggroed them, maybe you attacked one by accident and it immediately countered by breathing?

They can melee you without being provoked if you're invisible and/or under darkness, due to the "balance" changes in 1.2.0. I'd advice having a well-charged wand of teleportation when you dive in the water cave. If anything serious gets into melee range with you, teleport them away (they never seem to resist).
    "And light there be!"