Thread: About the new UI and Tiles vs. ASCI

Default About the new UI and Tiles vs. ASCI

Hey there fellow Adomers,

I recently tried to play the newest Adom version (R55) and the first thing that hit me was that it did not default the view to what I had set in former releases. It defaulted to tile mode. When I switched to Asci mode letters had a disturbing background and were close to unreadable, I had to switch the used rendering engine to fix that. But now the classic UI at the bottom with the messages at the top were switched around...
    I think I could get used to it but it bugs me that I had to make all the changes to the view mode again even though it was stored in some general space in former pre releases. At least I didnt have to change all these things the last few releases.
    Also I strongly dislike the new ASCI UI, the messeages get swallowed away like crazy and I feel like missing a lot of whats going on. Also I nearly starved with one character because the new UI for that is pretty unintuitive as well as all the messages about hunger where replaced too fast in the log.
    Maybe I`m just too stubborn to adept properly or too used to the old way everything was displayed. Is there a way to revert to a classic ASCI Adom view? Because I couldnt find it.

And if from now on every release resets the view mode options, wouldnt it be nice to have different preset downloads? Or would this be too much work and require too much server space?

What do you guys think of this topic?

No one interested in the topic?

Whenever I start up the game new, the view mode switches back to tiles. Whats up with that? Isnt it supposed to save?
    I restored an older character from the last prerelaese before the current one and the beloved old ASCI graphics were back plus it had the old UI! Then I generated a new character and I cant find a way to make it look like classic Adom again.

Im really frustrated with this right now. Just because I cant find how to deal with it propperly... I would play with the tile mode, and I actually did a few month back play it some hours, but Im just way faster and safer playing the ASCI graphics for whatever reason.

Help and general thoughts appreciated!

regards

EDIT: Nevermind, I found that downloading the Version without Noteye fioxes all my problems. Cant switch to tiles now to appreciate the beautiful images now, but also dont have to deal with allways changing settings.

EDIT2: But, Cant change the window Size now, crap! so I still need help ^^
    Last edited by derriesen; 01-24-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by derriesen View Post
    Whenever I start up the game new, the view mode switches back to tiles. Whats up with that? Isnt it supposed to save?

Im really frustrated with this right now. Just because I cant find how to deal with it propperly...
    It is possible to save in not eye setting menu, but I think it's still gonna start each character in tiles and new UI [which is good in tiles, but not so much in Ascii currently].

The way to get old style is supposed to be F10 [switch to ASCII] and Ctrl+n followed by m [to get old interface]. Except F10 stopped orking at some point for me, in such case Ctrl+m [to open noteye menu] -- "m", "p" in menus space to exit menus.

I certainly hope it starts saving setting at some future version.

edit: window size change is sadly only in noteye integrated versions.

Thank you very much for the insight about the game actually not stroing the setting propperly atm. Thought I was getting crazy here, or having weird issues with file ownership or whatever.

Also a big thank You Sir for pointing me to how to get the old UI back!

Now Ill head off to playing a session of ADOM!

regards

You know, there should really be an easily identified toggle that lets you switch back to the classic UI, classic ASCII with 1 press and *stay there.* If only for nostalgic purposes. (And because the new UI looks really horrible in ASCII)

OP, thank you for posting this topic! I registered today just to ask the same thing because I discovered ADOM two years ago and only ever used the ASCII mode, it really really sucks that the current release no longer allows us to do something so basic as start in ASCII mode. A few other things I'd really like to know:

-Is there any configuration that will bring back the old font appearance? I don't know which font/size was used previously but it's the default one I'm looking for. None of the currently available configurations looks as good as that did - this strikes me as another not broke/don't fix issue

-Holding movement keys down no longer issues repeat commands meaning there's no way to 'steamroll' - obviously this is a bad way to move most of the time but when you open the door to a room full of windshield enemies, it's satisfying to just keep the directional key held down.

-The game is far less responsive than it used to be. I found a thread talking about this (http://www.adom.de/forums/archive/in...p/t-12917.html) and the explanation had to do with refreshing or redrawing the screen each move even while in ASCII mode (I'm not familiar with the industry terms so I may be misquoting). Is there really nothing that can be done to play at the same speed we enjoyed in the past?

As you can tell, I'm really disappointed in this new version because it feels crippled compared to the older one. I would play the version without NotEye integration but then I can't play in fullscreen (I know how to make Windows run it in fullscreen but the font doesn't scale up) so if anybody knows how to achieve this, that would be a solution.

The tiles are the best I've seen for an non graphical roguelike but I still prefer the ASCII; it's not even a nostalgia thing as I only discovered the roguelike genre a couple of years ago, I prefer having my own vision of the characters/monsters.

Thanks for any help.

[Edit]

I've since fixed a few of these problems:

I realised that adding a few (3) lines at the bottom of the screen 'for minimap' condenses the font and this is what made it look so much better before - it's stretched less but still fullscreen which is perfect. Also I can once again steamroll creatures/die by holding the directional keys down - I just needed to change the keyboard options for diagonal movement, the option required is 'only shift/ctrl' or something to that effect. I figured this out when I noticed that diagonal movement still allowed the repeat presses and so did using number keys to move! Finally, the 'Ctrl+n (then) m' worked for me whereas it hadn't before (it's a confusing command so I probably pressed the wrong thing) and so no more confusing letters that really underplay the severity of starving to death.

The speed doesn't feel so laggy either although I'm going from memory so maybe it was just the satisfaction of all the other elements being back as they should
    Last edited by RiC David; 02-03-2015 at 08:31 PM.