Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next attempt: mist elf farmer (expect spoilers as usual)

Default Next attempt: mist elf farmer (expect spoilers as usual)

Expect spoilers.
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

After the death of my dark elven archer, I've switched to attempting farmers. The current attempt is a mist elf and he's been having some success.

He had 4 talents upon creation, so I spent one on Alert (for Treasure Hunter) and three on Heir. I find farmers a lot more likely to not die if they get their Heir armour. This latest roll ended up with +3, +6 instead of +3, +3.

This character took care of first kill, pick pocket learning, quest taking, and went straight to SMC looking for a way through. The path to the stairs (and blanket in same room) was very far and convoluted, so I decided it would be best to push straight through the UD.

There were a few touch-and-go moments in the UD. Luckily, mithril and adamantium equipment is fairly easy to find in UD, so I would usually make the push with a mist elf regardless.

The biggest problem came when I found a river level on the final level of UD. No swimming skill and not enough HP to swim across the obstacles in my way. After going back and grinding a bit and having more touch-and-go moments, I remembered I had a wand of cold with enough charges to get me through. Dropped some heavy food so I could get across the ice, found the way out, and I passed through the village and went back to complete quests.

Did the carpenter quest, learned healing, and spent many turns training bridge building with the carpenter so the next levels I gained could be used to gain as much bridge building as possible before the inevitable destruction of the manual.

Went to the UCa to search for notable dungeon level features. Found none. Went to the PC and found a neutral altar on PC:2, which will help this char along greatly.

Went deeper to find herbs on PC:4. My initial attempt to grow herbs in the UD had been met with annoying failure. I had 3 successful plantings which would have been fine, but between each was a growth cycle so each herb bush died and all my seeds were gone. Now I've got access to seeds (with gardening conveniently at 92 already), so I can have a garden somewhere convenient some time soon.

Character level is 12 and stats are fairly average, with okay strength and toughness considering the race of the character.

I may attempt to get a precrowning with this character, considering the finding of an altar before any artifacts, though it's on PC:2 so I'm not sure how much success I'll have with live saccing, and I can't sac the ants on a neutral altar so there's no convenient pile of victims waiting for me. Maybe there'll be an altar in a cavernous level deeper in the PC.

The character ended up finding an adamantium girdle and adamantium tower shield, ring of fire res, ring of cold res, amulet of rapid healing, and is using bows and slings for ranged combat, and an adamantium hammer currently for melee.

My previous character (DE archer) found no hatchet. This game around at least I have a guaranteed hatchet, with which I can make a whole buttload of arrows. There will be no need to use slings again once I bother to stock up on arrows (unless I get an artifact sling). Farmer's skillset is so handy...

I've found a potion of gain attributes and a potion of cure corruption in my modest travels. Also found two extra fletchery sets, which seem to be pretty easy to find in this version of the game.

Amusingly I got ganged up on by a tension room full of ghosts and aged by a couple hundred years.

My eventual goals with this character:

-Being a mist elf, I expect good prospects for late-game casting.

-Also, being a mist elf, toughness and low health will be tackled however possible.
    In the case of toughness, I drank two potions of potential toughness and have herb access.
    In the case of health, I have access to Jharrod, so if I'm lucky enough to find a book of minor healing,
    I can abuse Jharrod for potions of ultra healing and bump up the health points somewhat.

-Another concern as a mist elf: getting crowned will at least get me immune to one pesky element.

-Eventually I'll probably grab the cow axe, or at least do the maze for the rest of the rewards.

-Will eagerly take on the frost giant jarl caves for the chance at more artifacts.

PC:5... Cavernous... Neutral altar. Huh. Guess I'm going to try for a precrown. Last time I tried that though I ended up crowning instead even though the screen said N-.

If you're the kind to risk it - sacc neutral mobs on the altar till it becomes Chaotic, convert and very carefully go for chaotic precrown. Then go back to your normal aligment on the other, unchanged altar.

Quote Originally Posted by santamaria View Post
    PC:5... Cavernous... Neutral altar. Huh. Guess I'm going to try for a precrown. Last time I tried that though I ended up crowning instead even though the screen said N-.
    once you get to extremely or absolutly close hit ctrl-r (think this is right someone correct if wrong) to redraw the screen. this will tell you for sure if your N-, N=, or N+ so that you dont have the accidental crowning

Quote Originally Posted by plllizzz9 View Post
    If you're the kind to risk it - sacc neutral mobs on the altar till it becomes Chaotic, convert and very carefully go for chaotic precrown. Then go back to your normal aligment on the other, unchanged altar.
    I chose instead to go feed a beggar and convert the altar to lawful 'cause I like saccing basically almost everything without the risk of getting sacced myself, and figure I might as well go right into a normal crowning after the precrowning and stay lawful.

Unfortunately, my god was being a cheapskate and gave me cat's claw. Bah. Maybe I'll try for a second precrowning 'cause I feel ripped off. :P Not much better than getting shezestriakis.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshire View Post
    once you get to extremely or absolutly close hit ctrl-r (think this is right someone correct if wrong) to redraw the screen. this will tell you for sure if your N-, N=, or N+ so that you dont have the accidental crowning
    I had a similar idea and simply passed a few turns just to make sure.

Edit: Apparently precrowning a second time takes quite a while at least after 1.1.1. Sooooo maybe I'll just go with a crowning.

Edit more: Okay nevermind it wasn't so hard to get another precrown... And my alignment wasn't good enough yet anyways so whatever.

But this time he gave me the scorched spear. Another mediocre gift. Better than the last one, but still kinda crap. (AND IT'S MADE OF IRON!! ... No better than cat's claw then...)
    Last edited by santamaria; 01-30-2015 at 11:30 PM.

it's pretty okay - it's a Polearm [great for farmers], it gives you ice immunity and you're fine as long as you're wearing some gloves. at least it deals with the issues of ogre magi, which can oneshot you otherwise.

Oh okay. I still don't like being burned by the iron nature of it. :P I'd read about gods giving gifts to mist elves that might hurt them and here it is.

Finally got my crowning. I only actually meant to get healed 'cause I was being overwhelmed.

Shock immunity and hammer of the gods. Enough of this puppy cave crap. I've been here too long.

(Edit: Just noticed hammer of the gods also gives me shock immunity... Darnit.)
    Last edited by santamaria; 01-31-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Got 100 bridge building. If this character wins, he's gonna pick that manual of bridge building up on the way out of the drakalor chain and walk out with it intact. :P Not that I usually end up using the skill. I'm going to see how it goes at 100 skill with a farmer's carry capacity, when the time comes to get a certain ring.