Thread: Noteye crashed while playing now what?

Default Noteye crashed while playing now what?

Anybody had this happen, and if so what did you do? Is the character recoverable? I haven't tried restarting the game yet. Afraid I'll screw something up and lose the character I was playing.

Was just dropping some stuff and trying to use the filter buttons on my keyboard to select a category when it happened. I selected the option to keep playing but the screen was all black with just the flashing cursor - so tried to hit shift-S and Y in case that went through.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    Anybody had this happen, and if so what did you do? Is the character recoverable?
    Search save directory for "xxx".bak [xxx stands for character name natutally] rename it to .svg and reload.
    Some progress will probably be lost.

what file is that located in? I can't find any of the .bak or .svg files

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    what file is that located in? I can't find any of the .bak or .svg files
    Depends on operating system I guess, but in general in same directory as your save games.

On Windows at least, it should be your Documents folder, ADOM\adom_dat\savedg\.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

ok I found it, how do I switch it from .bak to .svg? When I right click the file and select rename it only lets me rename the characters name. For instance, the character is called Wisp and there is nothing else to it in the first column, it's not Wisp.bak. The next column shows date modified, then next column is type (BAK file) but I can't seem to interact with that third column to change it to .svg

Urgh, I'm lost here. I don't get it.

It is actually regular windows garbage on choosing options for you.

Go to folder [any will do just need explorer] -- click organize [look for dropdown in upper left just bellow pseudoadres line] -- choose folder and search options from dropdown --
    in newly opened window select View tab.
    Once here - there is multiple things, you want to find -- "Hide extensions for known file types" and uncheck it.
    Now once you try renaming Windows should give file name and extention to edit.

It is some sort of safe check for users not messing with file types which comes with default on in some windows versions -- guess would be nice if went to some technical FAQ on ADOM related questions.

Thank you so much Soirana, I found the option and was able to restore my character. Didn't lose too much progress thankfully.