Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: celestrix?

Default celestrix?

So i've found celestrix in this great vault of fire mobs (which pretty nice to nether bolts, all of them, including the greater red wyrm).

I'm a DE Priest, i am wearing branalbin cloak (found there too, as random drop), big punch, ancient wrapping, The far slayer(also there) and Shekeztriah gauntlets.

Do you guys have any experience with the belt? is it worth it to wear it? or is dooming to crippling?

The dooming makes it not worth it for me, no matter how great the stats are. You get crits and armor damage all the time, and item destruction takes whole chunks of your inventory.
    "And light there be!"

Dooming is almost never worth it unless you know what you're doing and have a very careful, deliberate playstyle. Celestrix is situational at best, and I'm pretty sure I've only used it as ratling fodder.

Well, it is good as regen source if w5ing with no monsters insight or maybe than fighting Archmage [although he should be disabled anyway and AMW covers death resist and see invisble], otherwise I'd rather not wear it.

Celestrix is absolutely fantastic IMHO and dooming on an end-game char is not even close to crippling. [+13, +13] make a trmendous difference.

I've cleared D:50 with it constantly on a couple of times.

The only way is to try it for yourself.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Celestrix is absolutely fantastic IMHO and dooming on an end-game char is not even close to crippling. [+13, +13] make a trmendous difference.

Well, mine is not end-game yet, i've yet to kill the ACW. When would be in your opinion, a good time to start using it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull View Post
    Well, mine is not end-game yet, i've yet to kill the ACW. When would be in your opinion, a good time to start using it?
    When you have paralyzation resistance and enough HP/PV to handle several critical hits in a row without dropping below 100 HP.
    Also it's nice to have something that offsets the dooming with positive luck modifiers, like wearing ankh and cat ring and having +fat and +luck from deity.
    As far as I remember, a common agreement is that intrinsic dooming is worse than dooming from items, so Celestrix isn't that bad.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 03-02-2015 at 07:05 AM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull View Post
    Can't say without seeing your char. Can't say without knowing your play style.

By end-game char I usually mean 300+ hp and 40+ PV or so with a powerful weapon (some slayer or AoTME).
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post

I never really tried Celestrix, but I'm surprised that you recommend it for the endgame especially. In the early game, when your unmodified DV/PV is something like 20/0, doesn't [+13,+13] have much more impact than later on? I would have expected that the girdle gradually becomes a worse deal over the course of the game, because the bonus stats matter less and less as you get more and more bonuses (including regen) from other armor pieces.

Although you get more options to compensate the doom with positive luck modifiers too, as the game progresses. Maybe that's why?

A special case (rare, but worth mentioning) is when you're facing big lightning damage. Like when you meet a lightning vortex in the early game and can't outrun it.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I've cleared D:50 tons of times without wearing Celestrix. (I've never actually had it, for that matter.) That's not really an argument for or against it. You can make tons of suboptimal choices and still win the game.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.