Thread: Vanquisher or AotME?

Default Vanquisher or AotME?

So, my DE Priest has run a bit with AotME and it's great fun and now he found Vanquisher in a deserted shop full of mimics and i don't know which one to use.

What's your call, fellow ADOMer?

Axe of the Minotaur Emperor is usually considered the non plus ultra. That's because it has a devastating average damage value of +56. Vanquisher only has +18. So while a critical hit with Vanquisher (slaying produces 100% critical hit rate against the creature type slain) might do a bit more damage than a regular hit with the AotME, a critical hit with the AotME is so much more devastating that Vanquisher hardly even compares. Especially considering AotME has the improved crit chance modifier.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

yeah, i've noticed in the empirical way that AotME kills faster.

The what to wield question complicates though, since i cleared the GUV on d45 and found Purifier (along with the nice to have Hammerhead and useless Wyrmlance).

I have good memories about Purifier, which i used with another DE Priest to kill even Lich Emperors (that one died to a suicide Magic Missile).

So now i wonder if i should go the Purifier + Shied or AotME route. What would you guys say?

Edit: Actually, it looks like i got the Protector shield as well in that GUV, so i think i will stick to Purifier .

AotME and it's great fun and now he found Vanquisher
    So now i wonder if i should go the Purifier + Shied or AotME route.
    So, my DE Priest...
    Given elf spellcaster doesn't spells actually deserve at least honorable mention?

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Given elf spellcaster doesn't spells actually deserve at least honorable mention?
    Spells require 3 key-presses to shoot while melee attacks require 1 key-press. Nuff said.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Yeah, spells are awesome!

I spent a wish on Rain of Sorrow, coupled with 48 Wi, clearing that GUV while staying out of harm's way, was easy, 9 out of 10 Emperor Liches and about 20 Lich Kings died to that .

Sniping ancient dragons and titans with minor punishment from an angle is cool too.

The Far Slayer coupled with slaying ammo also did a very good job, clearing the rest of the Liches and a lot of other nasties.

I like chars that can do Melee+Missile+Magic well, so i like Priests.

Purifier does just as little damage as Vanquisher (and doesn't slay everything), so same deal there. But your character is on the kind of power level where these questions become fairly irrelevant to begin with.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Purifier does just as little damage as Vanquisher (and doesn't slay everything), so same deal there. But your character is on the kind of power level where these questions become fairly irrelevant to begin with.
    Yeah, after a couple of minutes running around with Purifier and Protector, i switch back to AotME, it kills things faster and coupled with invi cloak, nothing really challenges me yet. I kill ancient dragons in a couple of hits with the axe, half the time instagib them.