Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emperor Liches?

Master Liches and above also have a paralyzing attack. Always wear both an amulet of free action and ring of clear mind all the time when clearing a GUV. And wear AMW, of course, to get death ray resistance, and detect monsters as well to see where the emperor lich with his death ray attack is. Blessed undead slaying ammo is wonderful for kings and emperors, improved fireball is nice but tends to destroy valuable items, burning hands or ball spells are great for master liches that don't drain stats. If you clear a GUV, you get tons of XP, making it more than worthwhile. But be very careful and have the right equipment!

IIRC death ray BOUNCES so be careful about standing near a wall

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    IIRC death ray BOUNCES so be careful about standing near a wall
    I don't think mobs death ray utilizes same rules as player death ray [like blue glowing balls are neither fire bolt nor magical missile,or cold bolts go in non straight line for ogre magi and so on].

In particular I've never seen red version of glowing ball hit anything past the char, but it might be just my lack of observation.

Glowing balls definitely work like (t)arget function for the PC.
    When they miss, they don't travel on but usually they hit the PC and then it boils down to resistance/immunity to fire.
    I also don't think that death rays cast by monsters bounce but perhaps it's just something I never allowed to happen - I'd have to be cornered with the death ray caster pretty much next to me.
    Most ADoM players know not to stand next to an emp lich if you value your attributes. Perhaps there simply wasn't any opportunity to test the "bouncability" of death rays cast by emp liches.
    I'm curious though if perhaps the power of their death rays is insufficient to cast it very far.
    I seem to get hit by death rays only within 3-4 tiles from the monster and bouncing action consumes more range so it could be that the power of death ray cast by monsters is not high enough to bounce and hit the PC on its way back.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Glowing balls definitely work like (t)arget function for the PC.
    When they miss, they don't travel on but usually they hit the PC and then it boils down to resistance/immunity to fire.
    I also don't think that death rays cast by monsters bounce but perhaps it's just something I never allowed to happen - I'd have to be cornered with the death ray caster pretty much next to me.
    Most ADoM players know not to stand next to an emp lich if you value your attributes. Perhaps there simply wasn't any opportunity to test the "bouncability" of death rays cast by emp liches.
    I'm curious though if perhaps the power of their death rays is insufficient to cast it very far.
    I seem to get hit by death rays only within 3-4 tiles from the monster and bouncing action consumes more range so it could be that the power of death ray cast by monsters is not high enough to bounce and hit the PC on its way back.
    well, if those red balls are the death ray, then they can shoot it from farther than 3-4 tiles, that's for sure. At least ACW can, since he shot me from about 7 tiles. And the ball did not get past me, so i'm with Soirana on that.

No, glowing balls are fire spells - "you are hit by a barrage of glowing balls" message is generated.
    Energy bolts are death rays - "you feel a painful energy bolt slicing through your body" - that's in case you have the resistance.
    Death rays are only cast in straight lines; fire "balls" can be cast irrespective of where the lich and the PC are in relation to each other.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    No, glowing balls are fire spells - "you are hit by a barrage of glowing balls" message is generated.
    Energy bolts are death rays - "you feel a painful energy bolt slicing through your body" - that's in case you have the resistance.
    Well, graphically death ray and glowing balls [the ones there fire resist helps] look same except being blue and red balls respectively.
    I guess it is easier to see in later versions with NotEye cause they sort of slow animation.

Monster spells overall are not very comparable to char spells.