Thread: what DL is actually VD7?

Default what DL is actually VD7?

I have a problem with VD7, it killed quite a couple of my PC's. Like right now, my GE Assassin, that had 10PV, died to a gelatinous cube form a tension room in VD7.

I was extra careful, i tried to gain range to shoot it, but it was too fast, then i decided to get it up one level to fight them one by one, to avoid getting surrounded while paralyzed but after getting the gelatinous cube up to VD6, i only got to hit it one time and ended up in a death screen.

What does this VD7 have so special about it that monsters generated there are so much more powerful than on other VD levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull View Post
    What does this VD7 have so special about it that monsters generated there are so much more powerful than on other VD levels?
    IGB list it as eight which is close enough to expected.
    Other VD levels however do not follow 1 danger level per dungeon level rule [although outside main CoC I think most dungeons don't follow it]. VD6 is ~4.
    So yes jump is real, but mostly cause VD1-6 are purposed to be low level.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    IGB list it as eight which is close enough to expected.
    Other VD levels however do not follow 1 danger level per dungeon level rule [although outside main CoC I think most dungeons don't follow it]. VD6 is ~4.
    So yes jump is real, but mostly cause VD1-6 are purposed to be low level.
    Are monsters on higher DL more experienced? Is this the issue? Or there's something special about VD7? I thought 10 PV should be enough to not die to a gelatinous cube. I had pretty good DV too.

Are monsters on higher DL more experienced?
    Mostly.
    Mobs from tension room have extra boost probably,or at very least mixed tension ones have reputation of generating stuff which are problematic.

For quite a while I skipped that lvl due to "unfair" deaths.
    Now I try to carefully see what sort of vault/tension is there. Mixed is murder but gnolls are sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    For quite a while I skipped that lvl due to "unfair" deaths.
    Now I try to carefully see what sort of vault/tension is there. Mixed is murder but gnolls are sweet.
    Yeah, i have the same feeling. I remember in 1.1.1 it wasn't like that. I think they changed it in some prereleases of 1.2.0. so the mad carpenter would be more buff, maybe it's something related?

Mixed tension rooms always generate higher leveled monsters and monster with a higher DL. The ones at the bottom of the starter dungeons can be very dangerous. I've had a bunch of cases where the lesser vault on PC6 was easier than a mixed tension room on the same floor.

Yeah, i have the same feeling. I remember in 1.1.1 it wasn't like that. I think they changed it in some prereleases of 1.2.0. so the mad carpenter would be more buff, maybe it's something related?
    Ahh now that I reread the thread I mean last lvl of PC.
    Did not know that of VD ....
    I don't recall any extremes in VD7 otoh I prefer characters with healing and have done dd a lot more.

I'm a bit confused; do gelatinous cubes have a paralyzing attack? I don't remember getting paralyzed by one and dying except if I accidentally attacked them in melee while carelessly exploring. They should be relatively easy to dispatch with ranged weapons, such as an assassin's thrown daggers.

Mixed tension rooms are always far more dangerous than their location would suggest; they've been like that in 1.1.1, too.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Monster generation was changed in general as far as I know. Well, less goblins on d40 and so on. DL8 and DL4 under current generation have quite a difference in monster generated. Well, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I'm a bit confused; do gelatinous cubes have a paralyzing attack? I don't remember getting paralyzed by one and dying except if I accidentally attacked
    Apparently they do, although they are also "coat in paralytic fluid" type [as floating eyes]. They damage per stethoscope is 2-8 at level 1, so experienced ones likely can get through early game PV even without criticals.