Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: stat potentials

Default stat potentials

These changes to stat potentials are nice, since stats are more important now, but...

I think some stats potential should still increase until a value of about 15-16 by training the stat naturally, for example strength. Travelling strained! for a while should definitely increase the potential in my opinion. I agree that herbs should not increase potential, but natural training should increase it. It shouldn't be easy, but doable nonetheless.

Also about strength, why does dark orcs increase potential, but Frost Giants and Frost Giant Berserker do not? I think those giants are more powerful than a dark orc, or am i wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull View Post
    These changes to stat potentials are nice, since stats are more important now, but...

I think some stats potential should still increase until a value of about 15-16 by training the stat naturally, for example strength. Travelling strained! for a while should definitely increase the potential in my opinion. I agree that herbs should not increase potential, but natural training should increase it. It shouldn't be easy, but doable nonetheless.
    Another idea would be to change some of the stat potentials a little. Make weak races like hurthlings start with a potential strength of 16, and so on. That way you get the same effect without needing a special exception to the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull View Post
    why does dark orcs increase potential, but Frost Giants and Frost Giant Berserker do not?
    Because reasons.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Another idea would be to change some of the stat potentials a little. Make weak races like hurthlings start with a potential strength of 16, and so on. That way you get the same effect without needing a special exception to the rules.

Because reasons.
    that might be good too, but don't forget elves :P.

Also, what reasons?

Ancient reasons of mystery.

The reasons really are very obvious: When you eat a frost giant, your muscles only feel like steel. But when you eat a dark orc, they actually bulge

Yeah, the only hurthlings I've played since these changes are chaos knights and weaponsmiths. Having a strength of 8 until Dwarftown minimum is just unreasonably annoying.

Seriously, playing a hurthling weaponsmith or CK?
    Ehm, I mean, you can play whatever you damn well please but when you pick a hurthling race with a class that relies on strength then you should be expecting some obstacles.
    I'd leave it as it is - if you wanna swing a two-hander with a hurthling, you need to get used to low strength or pick a different class/race.
    Unless extra challenge of this caliber is your idea of fun, that is.

When I'm playing a barbarian, I'm not using elves for that.
    Similarly, playing a wizard or any caster class, I would steer clear from trolls and maybe orcs.
    Some combinations are just not feasible or present extra difficulties and the game shouldn't bend to that specific scenario.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I've actually done well with Hurthling weaponsmith, as the initial equipment forces the STR up.

Your results may vary...

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Ehm, I mean, you can play whatever you damn well please but when you pick a hurthling race with a class that relies on strength then you should be expecting some obstacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    You misunderstood what Wombats said: he only plays those two classes as hurthling, because they start with about 18 strength to be able to carry their stuff.

If hurthlings still started with the same low strength as they do now, but had a higher potential so that it's at least possible to train it up to a (still meagre) score of 16, this would be much more reasonable. As it stands, CK and weaponsmith hurthlings somehow start with a strength that is impossible to reach without magic for their family, no matter how much they train. And being stuck with strength 11 forever is really awkward for any class, be it wizard, archer or barbarian. Maybe itīs even worse for wizards and archers because it means they canīt carry their books / ammo without being "Strained!" all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull
    that might be good too, but don't forget elves :P.
    Adjustments to stat potentials could be applied to them as well, if needed.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 03-21-2015 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    And being stuck with strength 11 forever is really awkward for any class, be it wizard, archer or barbarian. Maybe itīs even worse for wizards and archers because it means they canīt carry their books / ammo without being "Strained!" all the time.

Adjustments to stat potentials could be applied to them as well, if needed.
    Low strength is definitely not a problem with wizards. Strength of Atlas is a common spell, my hurthling wizard currently uses it almost all the time and she has about 900 castings left, with high efficiency. And actually having Food Preservation (getting blink dog and kobold shaman corpses, for instance) and Archery (to use slaying ammo more effectively for tough monsters) is very advantageous for a wizard.