Thread: omega?

Default omega?

Hi, has anyone tried the roguelike Omega?

It's an old one. I've read somewhere that ADOM was probably inspired by that game. How much similar is it to ADOM, if it is?

I have tried playing Omega in the past. I was searching for a roguelike which one's action takes place not in dungeons but mostly in the wilderness / surface.
    The game seemed quite interesting - something different than ADOM (that is main roguelike I played). The main difference I've noticed, aside of acting on a surface was a character’s creation system – it was not precisely defined who you are (even according to gender). Also, the method of creating the character on basis of our real life features and experience was quite impressive.

However the game had very annoying system of equipment handling (something like in-the-air slot) and what is more important – I haven’t found any resources that would help to learn game mechanics and environment (like Andy Williams Guidebook for ADOM). Eventually I gave up playing, keeping Omega in memory as an interesting mystery, that was covered by the dust of history and probably will never be revealed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by zymnos View Post
    I haven’t found any resources that would help to learn game mechanics and environment (like Andy Williams Guidebook for ADOM).
    http://www.alcyone.com/binaries/omeg...a-0.75-faq.txt
    http://www.alcyone.com/binaries/omeg...5-spoilers.txt
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

I played it some. It was fun for a while, but I could never consistently stay alive like I can in ADOM - I always seemed to be prone to seemingly unfair YASDs. Maybe I just wasn't as good as I thought - although I never really die in ADOM anymore unless it's my fault.

Hit by a cosmic ray!

Well-defined wilderness with mini-dungeons, lots of bizarre and flavorful details and subquests. The most interesting part mechanically is that you don't have a class; to learn things like combat maneuvers and spells you have to scrounge up the means to join one or more guilds. I dabbled in the game but never went deep or finished it, but it's definitely worth a try.

Yeah, i played some too
    In my opinion this game isn't interesting for a long time
    I think that the best is mentioned method of creating the characters.
    Dowiedz się, jaki jest najlepszy krem do pielęgnacji cery po 50 urodzinach - będziesz mi za to wdzięczna!

Quote Originally Posted by zymnos View Post
    The main difference I've noticed, aside of acting on a surface was a character’s creation system – it was not precisely defined who you are (even according to gender). Also, the method of creating the character on basis of our real life features and experience was quite impressive.

In character creation, you were never asked about your gender but something like "What is your sexual preference?". Apparently way ahead of its time there

I played it long ago. I found it very interesting, took me some time to figure out how to survive & gain exp. The combat system was interesting but not very intuitive & slow. A lot of details. It was quite "low" in the sense of problems comparing to ADOM.