Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ADOM random artifact poll

so, is any melee artifact better than AoTME? This kind of bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird View Post
    so, is any melee artifact better than AoTME? This kind of bothers me.
    If you're defenses are good (this also means you have enough speed to not get hit at all, which is actually not that hard to get), then, no there isn't. Especially if you get some levels in two-handed combat, it gets huge bonuses to damage. It outdamages both Vanquisher and TotRR.

Well, TotRR has very comparable damage dice to AotME and it slays demons and undead too, which AotME doesn't.
    Against those two groups TotRR is better even if you factor in criticals.
    On the other hand AotME can be obtained much earlier, TotRR isn't exactly a common weapon.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I'll be the first to say that I think the cow axe needs nerfing a little. The rewards for doing the maze used to be lacklustre, but now they're good enough (POGAS!) to be worth it even with the old axe. I think it would be nicer if the gauranteed artifacts each had their place -
    big punch, gladius, nonnak for early levels,
    minotaur axe, rune covered trident for level 30-ish characters.
    needle+sting, sceptre of chaos,
    TotRR

On that note, I'd like to see the sceptre of chaos get a massive damage spike. I don't think making it slay everything but demons would be unreasonable, and would bring it inline with executor for damage, albeit with the corruption issues.
    My orc thief just died.

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    I'll be the first to say that I think the cow axe needs nerfing a little. The rewards for doing the maze used to be lacklustre, but now they're good enough (POGAS!) to be worth it even with the old axe. I think it would be nicer if the gauranteed artifacts each had their place -
    big punch, gladius, nonnak for early levels,
    minotaur axe, rune covered trident for level 30-ish characters.
    needle+sting, sceptre of chaos,
    TotRR
    I had a similar thought. I dunno if the best guarranteed damage should outclass the best non-guarranteed damage (vanquisher, or justifier I suppose if you're a paladin) although it should be pretty close.

On that note, I'd like to see the sceptre of chaos get a massive damage spike. I don't think making it slay everything but demons would be unreasonable, and would bring it inline with executor for damage, albeit with the corruption issues.
    I honestly thought it did, like it functions as if you had max skill in its weapon slot. I know it has insane to-hit bonuses when equipped, unsure about damage.

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    I had a similar thought. I dunno if the best guarranteed damage should outclass the best non-guarranteed damage (vanquisher, or justifier I suppose if you're a paladin) although it should be pretty close.
    Vanquisher is actually pretty weak in the damage department. Yeah, it slays everything, but put it against other slaying weapons and it doesn't look so good--its base damage is more on par with a 1-handed weapon rather than a 2-hander. It's comparable to Kinslayer and Purifier, but worse than Executor, RCT, Grod, Wyrmlance, etc. Vanquisher is overrated IMHO.

Justifier for paladins is in a class of its own.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Yes, justy for pals is amazing.
    Too bad that most of the time it's "mortal ye should be rewarded for yer perseverance. you pick up the silk scarf".
    Not that I have anything against the scarf, it's amazing, but I *really* wanted that sword.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Vanquisher is actually pretty weak in the damage department.
    I thought so too, at least I've rarely been all that thrilled to see it, particularly if I'm working on a shield build, but I thought I must be missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Nice to see the overview on the spreadsheet. Artifacts that can be situationally useful are spread way more over all categories (Silver Key, Black Tome, Shezestriakis, Celestrix, Ring of Immunity, Staves) than artifacts that are always useful (missiles and missile weaps, Robes of Resistance/Nature's Companion, Bracers of War etc.). Justifier is spread all over the place since it depends completely on class
    I think Grod and Kinslayer are pretty exceptional and undervalued! I also rated the Silver Key as exceptional, simply cuz I never had it and I can imagine its useful, especially early game. It's in some way unique among the artifacts as it improves no stats or fighting skills at all nor does it offer any protection yet it can still help you alot if you remember to use it.
    Silver key is... eh. If you've never had, you might not be aware that it drains MP when used to create a door, so it can't really be spammed early game if you need a wall of doors or something. Late game (and even mid-game, really) doors aren't very useful because 1) wands of door creation are abundant and 2) any monster you're afraid of will probably be busting through that door anyway.

It has some situational use early on if you haven't ID'd a door creation wand yet or something, and it makes door traps not fatal for mist elves, etc, but I still wouldn't be excited about it as a precrown. Armor or a decent weapon would increase survivability a *lot* more. Then late game it's just ratling fodder.

I agree with all of that. It's just that I like that its, lets say, 'in another category'. I didn't know it drained pp though
    Also, compared to the average precrown it's probably worse but still it's way cooler to find than a much more useful eternium twohander. Almost as cool as the penetrating quarrels of slaying I found =) Rarity makes items more attractive for me :P