Thread: the most stupid death ever?

Default the most stupid death ever?

Zhakara, the lvl 50 Dark Elven Wizard starved to death while bookcasting Wish, in order to become an Archmage .

I was almost there.

Learned a few lessons though:

1) 3 castings of Wish will get you from 990 castings to 0.
    2) Even though you're not hungry, you will starve to death when bookcasting Wish from HP. I think being bloated should help, but i'm not sure.
    3) RNG is a bitch - no armor of power, all the useful rooms where pretty deep in corrupting areas.

1) Three castings? Why cast it at all? All you need is to read it once to get roughly ~240 charges. Bookcast it instead, every time. It's the only way for archmage.
    2) Farm a crap load of stomafilia and eat blessed one right after becoming satiated. Yes, casting from HP drains satiation. The best way is to buff mana attribute as much as possible before starting. Having the orb of mana in tool slot and wielding TotRR gives you a flat +34 mana. If you can, dip rings into potions of exchange to get some rings of gain attribute with even more mana.
    3) If you're going for archmage with the mana orb method, you couldn't care less about corrupting areas. You'll be getting ~2 corruptions per orb use anyway and the first ~100 or so wishes go into scrolls of corruption removal.
    Background corruption of virtually any CoC level becomes irrelevant. Using the orb increases Mana by 3, plus increases PP directly by a small amount. You'll be wishing for SoCRs anyway so might as well use the orb liberally.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 04-16-2015 at 11:37 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    1) Three castings? Why cast it at all? All you need is to read it once to get roughly ~240 charges. Bookcast it instead, every time. It's the only way for archmage.
    2) Farm a crap load of stomafilia and eat blessed one right after becoming satiated. Yes, casting from HP drains satiation. The best way is to buff mana attribute as much as possible before starting. Having the orb of mana in tool slot and wielding TotRR gives you a flat +34 mana. If you can, dip rings into potions of exchange to get some rings of gain attribute with even more mana.
    3) If you're going for archmage with the mana orb method, you couldn't care less about corrupting areas. You'll be getting ~2 corruptions per orb use anyway and the first ~100 or so wishes go into scrolls of corruption removal.
    Background corruption of virtually any CoC level becomes irrelevant. Using the orb increases Mana by 3, plus increases PP directly by a small amount. You'll be wishing for SoCRs anyway so might as well use the orb liberally.
    1. I thought it works as all other spells, so i could cast it for at least 50 times before bookcasting, almost not needing HP at all. I intended to cast it till i got to 100 castings, preserving the low cost. But i didn't pay attention to how many castings it drains each time, i only realized after the third one that i have none left.
    2. I wielded TotRR and i had 99 Mana when i started casting, i had ~1800 PP, without of power armor, since i had none.
    3. I meant good rooms for learning the spell, i had a magically charged room in DDL, which i used for casting. And i used the Mana Orb just as suggested.

The problem is i didn't know that casting from HP drains satiation and i think it didn't even write in the status bar that i am hungry or starving.

I was on day 88 and i had no wish to wait for Silvernight, but i could manage bookcasting it in that room, with mana battery corruption.

It's the "the atmosphere in this room makes your skin tingle" room which reduces casting costs. "Magically charged" only affects PP regeneration rate.
    Though the wiki states it affects casting costs slightly, I have not seen a significant difference during my archmage games. "skin tingles" rooms offer a flat 20% reduction which stacks with mana battery but not with silvernight.
    Mana battery is also typical but since it's difficult to obtain on demand, i usually wait until it shows up first on the list while I'm using mana orb and removing unwanted corruptions.
    With the advent of 6 extra random caves which give a total of ~35 levels, there's a much better chance to get "skin tingle" room and start there.
    If it also has an altar close by, you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    It's the "the atmosphere in this room makes your skin tingle" room which reduces casting costs. "Magically charged" only affects PP regeneration rate.
    Though the wiki states it affects casting costs slightly, I have not seen a significant difference during my archmage games. "skin tingles" rooms offer a flat 20% reduction which stacks with mana battery but not with silvernight.
    Mana battery is also typical but since it's difficult to obtain on demand, i usually wait until it shows up first on the list while I'm using mana orb and removing unwanted corruptions.
    With the advent of 6 extra random caves which give a total of ~35 levels, there's a much better chance to get "skin tingle" room and start there.
    If it also has an altar close by, you're set.
    i play pre 23, so there are no random caves for me.

Ah, that's too bad. Those caves virtually guarantee an archmage-friendly room.

I did that once. That was my only ArchMage candidate and casting against health had only recently been made to affect satiety. You're right that you will go from neither hungry nor satiated to starved in one casting.
    Munxip, the human shopkeeper grunts at you in a friendly manner. Munxip, the human shopkeeper hits you.

Hi everyone i'm new here and quiet new to the game, trying to loose my NetHack addiction just to have ADOM addiction..It's great to find people today still playing the REAL rpg games....for now I just have a collection of stupid deaths...

And that's about a Mighty Orc-Priest just crowned with Purifier, Nature's Companion found on the next floor(!), and the wail of a banshee killing him just the floor below ...with naturally his pockets fulls of beeswax...it does not care about me, let's take a walk around him...'cause (my) orchish brain rules, the smarter, the stronger....very stupid idea how to throw away 6 hours of game...but all experience..

But another one I don't understand..when the ShopKeeper of Dwarf Town show himself out and far from the shop (around the forge) and with a bunch of muscular dwarves beat me to death..what happened? What I have done? Last time I left the shop all was Ok, at least I think, but even in case I took something for mistake, he would have block the exit...I never understand what happened...there is something else than stealing stuffs that can anger them?

Sorry if my english i s terrible.....

There are a lot of things that can anger shopkeepers, although most of them are quite obviously 'risky', like stealing their stuff or trying to mess with them through weird game mechanics (ventriloquism or mindcraft for instance). The most probably reason that you angered him is the 'unholy aura' corruption though, which shopkeepers will hate because it scares away their customers. When you get it, either try to remove it asap or be prepared to avoid shops or be strong enough to kill the shopkeeper and take the goodies =)
    If you weren't corrupted at all, there might be some other reasons, like leading hostile monsters into their shop, or accidentally stealing their goods by getting teleported out of the shop while carrying some of their items. The dwarven shopkeeper also will get into action sometimes when you mess with other dwarftown inhabitants, especially the priest.
    Last edited by Joe; 05-08-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Hi and Thanks for the reply, maybe the corruption? I had some mutation after a first unlucky tour of the tower, pretty sure that nothing else happens...the demon of the last quest killed some people before step on the altar, no one important, maybe I mess with that. I got the reward and when I climb up from ogre cave where I stash the gang was there...could beat them, death came from some other stupid idea I don't remember.