Thread: Nuurag Vaarn can tele in mana temple???

Default Nuurag Vaarn can tele in mana temple???

so i was curious about something and turns out that im correct about it. Vaarn can Teleport in the mana temple a level that is supposed to prevent teleporting why is this

arch dead.png

what i did was read a scroll of monster aggravation and when i walked into the next room there was Vaarn waiting for me. no going thru traps no fighting annoying hordes of mobs just me and the good old mage a few smacks with my AotME and hes dead and im the proud owner of the mana orb

I believe this was a change made in an earlier prerelease. Both Nuurag and Master Summoner have always had the capacity to teleport, but were prevented from doing so unless you led them off the level.

I'm not sure that this change ended up being necessarily desirable. OTOH, it does mean that scrolls of monster aggravation and whatnot are actually useful now.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I remember recently walking through the first of the trapped corridors and suddenly he teleported behind me. Made getting the orb very easy (on a previous game, I killed every single monster there). Not even sure how the enemies get alerted behind a wall. Perhaps his A.I. should do more evasive teleports when his health is low.

This has been fixed in more recent versions.
    Neither Nurgy nor Yulgash can teleport on the temple levels; when they could, it made those areas too easy to deal with.
    I agree, scrolls of monster aggravation had some nice use at that point but they also greatly simplified otherwise challenging game features.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

good to know that this has been fixed its made it both easy and difficult to deal with Nurgy in the past. Once i cleared out the whole temple to find out that he decided to run and hide while i was killing all his minions and i found him holed up on the far side of the lvl and this most recent he came right to me

I never liked the change for two reasons:

1. flavor. Allowing these orb guardians to teleport on levels which otherwise restrict teleportation to everyone seemed like a cheap fix.
    2. skipping having to dig to the other half of the level and an epic battle against hordes of chaos monsters just by reading a scroll? No way.
    "And light there be!"

Personally I liked that they can teleport, I just felt that they should do it intelligently.

I think if they teleported within their respective Temples it might add flavor. Currently (playing the latest free pre-release) if I don't have scrolls of monster aggravation in the mana temple, I go in, find the closest alarm trap, toggle it about 10 times, and attempt to walk about of the trap zone before he teleports out. It's worked the past 4 times I've done it.

No mess but also no challenge (other than him shooting lazers of death). If he teleported a few steps away ever say 10+ turns for those with characters with higher melee damage or close the gap for those with higher missile damage it might be good. Or awful. I don't know. I'm glad to hear it's changed though. Not the way I'd like but changed.

Another fix would be to rework how monster aggravation works on those levels - make them effect every monster but the boss.

Or both. Or neither. The old way worked.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

In my opinion, they should be able to teleport, but only after doing something specific. In the Mana Temple, it could activate after opening the hidden entrance after all the traps. This would force you to make your way all the way to the actual temple entrance before he can teleport, at which point you now have to face everything.

The same could be applied to the Air Temple - Yulgash's ability to teleport only triggers once you've opened access to the inner sanctum of the Air Temple.

I don't know the specifics of how teleportation is handled in adom (as in, in the code), but perhaps it could be coded with a "higher" teleportation block. If the level is marked "0", everything can teleport. If it is marked "1", only those specifically capable of teleportation on non-teleporting levels can teleport. If it is marked "2", nothing can teleport. On these two temple stages, the block level would be "2" until the inner sanctum is opened, then it would drop to "1", allowing the orb guardian to teleport.