Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If there was a new location to be added, what would you like it to be?

Default If there was a new location to be added, what would you like it to be?

I know similar enhancements have been considered before but I'm still curious about this after the addition of the six random caves and ice queen domain.

I'd like another town in the game, a high DL one.

I mean, we have HMV which arguably has very few things to do besides the shop and ultra stuff.
    We have Bandit Town and Terrinyo, which similarly offer only limited range of "services" - food shop that I virtually never use, except for when I wish to store a blink dog corpse in case my dfg pool-sipping session goes south.
    Barnabas' store for all I care could have in front of it a huge sign with "everything's bloody expensive, bring potion of invis instead of gold" written on it.
    The quests that can be done are all early game type.
    After this we have dwarftown for mid-game quests. The shop is nice but there's little else to do there. Altars can be found anywhere else, some NPCs offer one-time gifts for chatting to them and that's it.

What about late game? With the advent of new caves and IQD that I mentioned, as well as somewhat more balanced exp curve that makes it easier to create chars that are lvl ~30 and still have a significant portion of the game ahead of them, there could be some place in the wilderness to cater to that group of PCs.
    It could be a city located between gremlin cave and dfg, in the mountains/hills, with some partial derelict road that leads to the tower of eternal flames.
    Some back story could be involved with how the tower used to be the greatest building in a once glorious city, now overran by chaos forces. I suppose TB would know best.
    The city would only be available starting with lvl 25, much like the pyramid is opened at lvl 13.
    Instead of a scroll generated somewhere, there could be an NPC showing up next to the PC, speaking about our famous hero and how he/she's needed in the city because of chaos forces invading it or any other threat that only our brave PC can deal with.
    After slaying a bunch of chaos servants and greater chaos servants, led by a chaos warlord, the PC gains access to the Last City.

Something akin to remnants of the High Kings' kingdom, a final refuge for the few remaining noblemen, craftsmen, mages, common people and anything else.
    - one mixed shop, one random thematic shop (potions/scrolls/wands/rings etc.)
    - a smithy, a healer, a library
    - an alchemist, who'd accept the ACW corpse for some interesting rewards other than a PoCC and offer to create potions after that
    - training dummies to gain some weapon marks up to lvl 3
    - some quest givers with rewards ranging from useful skills to items, all of them class-dependent
    - a quartermaster that would buy eternium items from the PC for a higher price (they need the equipment to fight chaos) and sell some as well
    - a lord of the land that would reward the PC for bringing corpses of powerful chaotic monsters (trophies and stuff)
    - some tie-in to the ring of the high kings, where the PC could fulfill a quest of bringing it to the ruler of the city (preferably after passing the EG)
    - maybe AKW could relocate here after the PC has completed his quest, and would offer some remarks about chaos, ultra endings and related things, in a manner similar to the minstrel
    - magicians guild? fighters guild? lots of options here

I certainly think the wilderness map could use some filling-in and the game lacks quests and non-combat locations for a high level PC.
    Everything could be easily tied with already existing items/artifacts/npcs/locations.

Maybe other players see something entirely different, in which case - post your ideas.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 05-22-2015 at 07:44 AM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I personaly find this as a good idea,
    In general just more villages and cities (even not to much elaborate one) would be welcome imo, what is the land that has only 4 villages or co, poor land, imo easily it could be increased to 7 or 13 etc

as to game play there imo should be other change, probably the levels between dwarftown and khelevaster should be placed in different way, i would
    put khelly few levels deep down also animated forest and DH few leweld deep down making the area between dwarftown and khelly some a bit more danger aln longer place, where you could play so called midgame and level (by the cost of being dead) a bit more making darkforge a bit more avaliable

Imo it would be at all good to divise tha games on about formal
    early game, mid-game and endgame, early game is very well
    designed in adom, midgame is unclear (for me midgame should be
    like mumia piramid, those dwarftown-2-Khelly dungeons, darkforge
    and maybe yet few things something more and should end by some
    clear milestone, something like opening the fire gate then you will
    open the endgame with the most strong beasts, chaos forces,
    and other endgame sh*t

midgame is in present state imo not to well done, pyramid is fine, darkforge is also fine but there is a bit to low amount of other options, some new mountain city where you could go in the midgame would be also fine

An additional town has been suggested many times, and I think it's a very good idea. As you said, it should definitely be for high level (>30) characters, as the Ice Queen Domain already nicely filled the gap between Pyramid and Tower.

Here's a suggestion for a quest that could happen at some point in that town:

The local armsmaster doesn't trust you and tries to convince the town you're a servant of ChAoS in disguise. Eventually he challenges you to a duel.
    The fight differs from those in the arena in that the townsfolk will form a tight circle around you, leaving only 3x4 squares to maneuver. This means by using wands, bolt spells and >32Wi ball spells you would attack the audience, angering the whole town.
    What makes it worse, is that your opponent adapts to your stats just like a doppleganger king. Flavor elememts could include him being stunned for 1d4 turns if you're a crowned duelist wearing your crowning gift etc. As a reward you would be allowed to keep his armour/weapon/helm, which should be excellent but not gamebreaking additions to your equipment at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by fir View Post
    what is the land that has only 4 villages or co, poor land, imo easily it could be increased to 7 or 13 etc
    To me it's pretty clear that this was what Thomas intended the Drakalor Chain to be; with only one entrance, little to no trade arises and the connection with the 'mainland' is just one passage between the mountains. It would be most unlogical if there were large human cities or many villages within the chain.

Still I think this is a really good idea, but it should certainly not be a human city. Rather something like a Drakeling city, where the strongest dragon rules the city. This combines easily with the ToEF being corrupted (by the ACW) story. The only problem is that we already have the blue dragon caverns.
    I would also adore a high elven 'city', a dark elven city (below the gremlin cave?), a nomadic tribe of trolls (wilderness encounter) or a gnome city (also below the gremlin cave?). The high elven city would be full of wards and rules, the dark elven city full of lurking dangers, the troll tribe full of challenges of strength.

Most of these I like the gnome city, with a gemcrafter rather than an alchemist and more stuff regarding gems. They could be fighting the minotaurs from the minotaur maze, with lots of magic tricks, traps, tools and lives. The maze could be actually their design, to keep the minotaurs in as long as possible, and they could give the reward for killing the minotaur emperor (instead of it dropping from his corpse). The gremlin cave would clearly be another defensive structure (maybe not the last...) to keep them out.
    Also, since gnomes are somewhat like engineers in my view, it would be a nice opportunity to make interesting comments about engineers
    For instance, whoever puts windows in his house is regarded as a fool, for with holes in your house for thieves to climb through, how would you defend the city against the minotaurs?
    Last edited by Moeba; 05-22-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Here is my idea: a cave with slaves, one of them is an alchemist. When you free him and convoy to Terynio, he founds a potion shop.
    Regarding monsters in the cave, goblin slavemasters come to mind, but they are too weak of course.

To free a slave you need a special key, which drops from a boss of the cave. (Kicking the door kills the slave?)

The boss is able to enslave your pet (nice detail).

I don't know where to put that cave. Maybe Minotaur Maze? It is essentially empty right now, only one last level rewards. Then the boss can be some minotaur slavemaster.

EDIT: alchemist's name should be Kcirle, he should drop something made of metal upon death
    Last edited by sweetnothing; 05-22-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeba View Post
    To me it's pretty clear that this was what Thomas intended the Drakalor Chain to be; with only one entrance, little to no trade arises and the connection with the 'mainland' is just one passage between the mountains. It would be most unlogical if there were large human cities or many villages within the chain.

Still I think this is a really good idea, but it should certainly not be a human city. Rather something like a Drakeling city, where the strongest dragon rules the city. This combines easily with the ToEF being corrupted (by the ACW) story. The only problem is that we already have the blue dragon caverns.
    I would also adore a high elven 'city', a dark elven city (below the gremlin cave?), a nomadic tribe of trolls (wilderness encounter) or a gnome city (also below the gremlin cave?). The high elven city would be full of wards and rules, the dark elven city full of lurking dangers, the troll tribe full of challenges of strength.

Most of these I like the gnome city, with a gemcrafter rather than an alchemist and more stuff regarding gems. They could be fighting the minotaurs from the minotaur maze, with lots of magic tricks, traps, tools and lives. The maze could be actually their design, to keep the minotaurs in as long as possible, and they could give the reward for killing the minotaur emperor (instead of it dropping from his corpse). The gremlin cave would clearly be another defensive structure (maybe not the last...) to keep them out.
    Also, since gnomes are somewhat like engineers in my view, it would be a nice opportunity to make interesting comments about engineers
    For instance, whoever puts windows in his house is regarded as a fool, for with holes in your house for thieves to climb through, how would you defend the city against the minotaurs?
    for all of the races i probably would like mentioned HUMAN city, humans are interesting race
    I wouldnt like elven city as i remember that form other games and it was not good
    Could olso be ev giants city or something

Here's my suggestion for the magician: She will identify wands and spellbooks for a small price, and can recharge wands (50% chance to destroy them) for a higher cost.
    When chatted to, she reveals that her apprentice has dissapeared. A wilderness encounter will let you find a chaos band that captured him, but he's decided to take the easy path to magic and is now a corrupted servant of chaos. You can kill him and he'll drop a single random wand, staff, and book.
    Reporting the death of the apprentice saddens her, but she thanks you for putting the matter to bed. She offers to assist you if her services can be of any help. As a reward she will study a spell with you, allowing you one-off gauranteed read of a spellbook you own.
    My orc thief just died.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    We have Bandit Town and Terrinyo, which similarly offer only limited range of "services" - food shop that I virtually never use, except for when I wish to store a blink dog corpse in case my dfg pool-sipping session goes south.
    This is you, I am using it extensively, often buy 3 whole shops of food in early game

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post

I certainly think the wilderness map could use some filling-in and the game lacks quests and non-combat locations for a high level PC.
    Everything could be easily tied with already existing items/artifacts/npcs/locations.
    I absolutely agree..a lot of space can be filled. I like the idea of some towns tied to races.
    Would be good some random quest generator tied to class and race too, with specific quests for every possible combination (Wizards have some interests, farmer or duelist have different interests, orcs or trolls have different background than a human of the same class).

It could be a mixed city - some humans, elves, occasional dwarf or ratling, maybe 'good' variety of a troll or an orc.
    It would make sense in that it's the last city and full of refugees that together struggle against forces of chaos and are now pushed to the brink.

As some people stated, Drakalor Chain is a reclusive land, it's for all intents and purposes a geographic dead end so I don't think adding a lot of towns/cities is a good idea but at least some could be added, like what I have described.
    There's plenty of hints about the past in the game - in minstrel's stories, Khelavaster's and Thrundarr's.
    Clearly there was some kingdom here since there were high kings, so at least one last remnant city doesn't go against the lore.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."