Thread: one really good thing to add in adom

Default one really good thing to add in adom

I wanted to do in my own roguelike THE EYE but i dropped workin on this years ago, so damn years of work needed, not on my human strength to carry - but this idea is really refreshing i think and could be incorporated with adom with great advantage

the thing:

Add a new value close to HP and PP with close range of values that
    would denote some kind of stamina/energy/vitality of given char
    (i propose tu use SP stamina points)

You could then use this power points to booost temporarily speed of given character for example by +5 speed on one usage (on given jkeypress like 'o' - you could accumulate this (like make 3 activating keypresses) to raise the boost more (for example to +14 value)
    then teh boost will be decreasing and consuming SP - if SP is zero or maybe even below zero you could not activate the boost and maybe you will recive come slowdown penalty)

possibly you could also boost a little to hit to damage maybe also DV a bit not ony a aspeed (though speed semm most important)
    How large the boost will be should depend on race-profesion combination, also how many SP points given character have (barbarians should give it much more then others i think)

It would be very fine to boost characer for good fight, and also take
    a danger of situation when it drops down, It also helps to give new character characteristics (whole separate new dimension to it)
    as boost may wary (in strength, maybe even a little in effect)
    It also could give more meaning to such stat as willpower as
    for example SP may depend on willpower, make it yet more
    noticable for fighters, After all it could make fights more tactical
    and cleaver

In general i am quite sure that this is especialy good idea making
    the basic thing in adom it is fights deeper and more satisfactionary in some reletively easy way

*if TB reads, may use it freely, ofc, could be fun)
    Last edited by fir; 05-28-2015 at 06:48 PM.

I think this falls under the "too much work, too little gain" category.
    Don't get me wrong, the idea alone is pretty nice but its implementation in the game would cost a huge amount of time, change some fundamental way the game behaves, to the point of every player being forced to re-learn many elements of the game and probably scare off some newcomers with excess complexity (on top of an already complex game).
    Right now I think sort of a similar function is performed by energy cost and speed as well as high-lvl weapon marks. I think it's enough.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    I think this falls under the "too much work, too little gain" category.
    Don't get me wrong, the idea alone is pretty nice but its implementation in the game would cost a huge amount of time, change some fundamental way the game behaves, to the point of every player being forced to re-learn many elements of the game and probably scare off some newcomers with excess complexity (on top of an already complex game).
    Right now I think sort of a similar function is performed by energy cost and speed as well as high-lvl weapon marks. I think it's enough.
    this is imo very cheap to implement at least in simple form, maybe it is a day of work
    in abasic form (when you gave speed boosts and limit it by Stamina Points),
    the ratio of game gain to work is imo especially superb here, (quite the oposite
    you sayin ), sadly not i decide if put it in the game

Do you code? Have you though about working on your own roguelike?

Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird View Post
    Do you code? Have you though about working on your own roguelike?
    I wanted to do in my own roguelike THE EYE but i dropped workin on this years ago, so damn years of work needed, not on my human strength to carry

Quote Originally Posted by fir View Post
    I wanted to do in my own roguelike THE EYE but i dropped workin on this years ago, so damn years of work needed, not on my human strength to carry
    Dear god, apparently I can't read. You did say that as the very first thing, didn't you?

Sorry.

It is a cool idea, by the way. I like the idea of giving willpower an additional function here.

Even without stamina being added, the idea of being able to spend some pp to go into a 'berserker fury' or whatever, followed by a weakened period would make sense as a class ability for a melee class.

Dear god, apparently I can't read. You did say that as the very first thing, didn't you?

Sorry.
    no big thing, -,- anybody reads this way..

It is a cool idea, by the way. I like the idea of giving willpower an additional function here.

Even without stamina being added, the idea of being able to spend some pp to go into a 'berserker fury' or whatever, followed by a weakened period would make sense as a class ability for a melee class.
    I agree, though when i said power points i mean stamina power points
    (something like resting form of given character, taken from life, if you re rested you got a big of that, if you fight fiercely or long it drops down

the reason for this is mainly that that fights in adom (like in other computer games) are a bit to simplified, this will make it bit more interesting, thus give more fun from pure figt