Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metal confusion

Default Metal confusion

So it seems the silver headgear is made of iron.

diadem of beauty silver diadem 35s [+0,+0] {Ap+4} iron HM(+0,1d3)
    helm of beauty silver helmet 50s [+0,+0] {Ap+1} iron H(+0,1d4) M(+0,1d3)
    helm of leadership silver helmet 100s [+1,+2] {Ch+6} iron H(+0,1d4) M(+0,1d3)

Is this a linguistic error where they should be described as "silvery helmet/diadem" ?
    or
    Is silver generally considered to corrode in adom and this was a short cut taken instead of making a second corrodable metal?

There's a alot of random inconsistencies/absurdities like that in this game.
    Kind of lazy programing to me.Bugs the hell out of me.
    I mean, They could of just been Mithril if they didn't want to add in silver as another metal.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Is this a linguistic error where they should be described as "silvery helmet/diadem" ?
    or
    Is silver generally considered to corrode in adom and this was a short cut taken instead of making a second corrodable metal?
    The first if applicable, the second otherwise... or at least that's the only way I have to explain "silver" and "steel" amulets being both made of iron

And let's not forget about the Iron Crown of Havlor, actually eternium...
    "And light there be!"

The core of the helmet is made of iron. The silver part is ornamental. The same can be said about 'steel' amulets.
    (Don't get me started on moloch armor, which is the size of a house and weights 3/4 of a ton. How do you 'wear' it? Do you ride in it?)

Quote Originally Posted by kuniqs View Post
    The core of the helmet is made of iron. The silver part is ornamental. The same can be said about 'steel' amulets.
    (Don't get me started on moloch armor, which is the size of a house and weights 3/4 of a ton. How do you 'wear' it? Do you ride in it?)
    Guess it's an ancardian mech.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    So it seems the silver headgear is made of iron.

diadem of beauty silver diadem 35s [+0,+0] {Ap+4} iron HM(+0,1d3)
    helm of beauty silver helmet 50s [+0,+0] {Ap+1} iron H(+0,1d4) M(+0,1d3)
    helm of leadership silver helmet 100s [+1,+2] {Ch+6} iron H(+0,1d4) M(+0,1d3)

or
    think they should be really in silver if so, if they are iron this is maybe not a bug but kinda shortcoming
    anyway smithing in adom if fine, such things as alchemy, thievery mining, gemology, smithing are all very fine i would need more like that imo there should be option for building own housen in wilderness) also cooking could be someway extended to make better meals, sell it tame monsters maybe

There's no linguistic error in saying 'the silver helmet was made of iron', just as there's no error in saying 'the silver dress was made of sequins and charmeuse'.
    My orc thief just died.

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    There's no linguistic error in saying 'the silver helmet was made of iron', just as there's no error in saying 'the silver dress was made of sequins and charmeuse'.
    I've read a bit on it and I would have expected "the silver coloured helmet was made of iron" probably because thats the common way to distinguish colour from actual material in my language.
    Thanks for the clarifying.

What is your language, blunk? Just interested, in my native language (Russian) "silver" has one of meanings "silver-colored"; I thought this is true for most of European languages. So "the silver helmet was made of iron" is perfectly correct and meaningful statement in Russian. Although I cannot object that there is a little paradox in it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing View Post
    What is your language, blunk? Just interested, in my native language (Russian) "silver" has one of meanings "silver-colored"; I thought this is true for most of European languages. So "the silver helmet was made of iron" is perfectly correct and meaningful statement in Russian. Although I cannot object that there is a little paradox in it.
    Swedish, we also use (and maybe more often even) "the silvery helmet".
    To say silver helmet of a helmet not made of silver is more kid/childish speak.

On very rare occasions it could also be something that once was made of silver/gold and got replaced and the name sticks.