Thread: Familiars and invisibility

Default Familiars and invisibility

Some time ago I experienced a strange interaction which I was not aware of. My character was perma-invisible from a pool and created a familiar. [Side note: as it turned out, perma-invis. is a quite nasty thing in the early game, you cannot enter to Arena for example.]

After some time, the familiar stopped being such! His status became "does not care about you" (i.e., non-aggravated and not friendly). I am sure that did not shoot him, not triggered traps etc.

WTF?!!! I mean, it is probably because of invisibility but why? I wanted my precious companion to clear Darkforge and maybe ToEF

Familiars will randomly lose interest in the PC if you leave them alone for awhile, especially if you leave the level without them.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Familiars will randomly lose interest in the PC if you leave them alone for awhile, especially if you leave the level without them.
    This doesn't seem to be a rule.
    I've had familiars change their minds in the middle of combat without the PC ever leaving them alone.
    On the other hand, I had a GEE once that I used to clear Dfg and left it there, then proceeded to finished the game.
    Imagine my surprise on the way back after closing the gate where the elemental still considered itself my friend/pet and followed me.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Does familiars behave different compared to tamed animals in this regard?

Would maybe make sense if charisma and/or appearance played a role here...?

Apparently Bards will never experience their pets going from tamed to neutral, bar an accidental fireball trap or exploding door.
    Not sure if other tameable monsters and summoned familiars are also subjected to this.
    For non-bards however, anything can go berserk at a whim.
    Charisma plays a role in how often the monster will ignore your commands.
    Appearance doesn't have an impact at all.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I had Farmer's Big Dogs turn on me in the middle of a fight several times.
    Like they go from Tame, to panicked, to neutral, to unfriendly, to hostile all in a single turn.

And it's not like I do any collateral damage or friendly fire since it usually happens in the first couple lvls.

In one of my latest game I had a fire giant king clearing a greater giant vault forget about me right during the battle with the message "You command blabla. The *foo* seems to stop." or something among these lines. Another companion berserker emperor promptly forgot about me after I left it to heal in a room. I often use companions with different classes and it almost never happens. This time I had Charisma of around 3 or 4 and I firmly believe this is a direct case.

Companions can sure work with some modifications as there are a lot of issues:
    1) Monster levelling is completely broken right now allowing you to create an unbeatable death-machine really fast.
    2) Monster levelling is incredibly boring, because everything advances in the same way.
    3) Companions enjoy leaving you to fend off by yourself and going to do whatever they want.
    4) Companion AI is completely broken when it comes to defending you. First there are path-finding issues where certain positions will prevent companions from attacking your attacker outright (they just stand in one place). Secondly, you can be completely surrounded and they will choose some target to help you; unfortunately, sometimes they are unable to reach the target through other monsters so they will simply run around doing nothing.
    5) You can accidentally zap a moloch with fire (which it's immune to) and it will decide to kill you for doing no harm.
    6) Panicking companions will for some reason decide to turn on you. Since ADOM doesn't track past relations, they will continue to murder you after you healed them or they themselves healed.

The list could go on.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

That PC was a mist elf, charisma was around 9. Probably this influenced.

Does charisma influence the duration of loyalty, or the chance of becoming hostile?
    You don't have to be taught all that much; you just need to acquire more cautiousness, an almost healthy amount of sheer paranoia, and a more fine-tuned "OH SHIT RUN!" reflex. ~Silfir

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    In one of my latest game I had a fire giant king clearing a greater giant vault forget about me right during the battle with the message "You command blabla. The *foo* seems to stop." or something among these lines. Another companion berserker emperor promptly forgot about me after I left it to heal in a room. I often use companions with different classes and it almost never happens. This time I had Charisma of around 3 or 4 and I firmly believe this is a direct case.

Companions can sure work with some modifications as there are a lot of issues:
    1) Monster levelling is completely broken right now allowing you to create an unbeatable death-machine really fast.
    2) Monster levelling is incredibly boring, because everything advances in the same way.
    3) Companions enjoy leaving you to fend off by yourself and going to do whatever they want.
    4) Companion AI is completely broken when it comes to defending you. First there are path-finding issues where certain positions will prevent companions from attacking your attacker outright (they just stand in one place). Secondly, you can be completely surrounded and they will choose some target to help you; unfortunately, sometimes they are unable to reach the target through other monsters so they will simply run around doing nothing.
    5) You can accidentally zap a moloch with fire (which it's immune to) and it will decide to kill you for doing no harm.
    6) Panicking companions will for some reason decide to turn on you. Since ADOM doesn't track past relations, they will continue to murder you after you healed them or they themselves healed.

The list could go on.
    Agree 100%. Honestly, I came to this topic expecting someone to say that the hostile when panicked deal was a 'feature'. I'm glad we realize that it's not and that there are multiple bugs here.