Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RNG Sadism

Default RNG Sadism

We've all had our stupid deaths, bad decisions made and general unluckiness. Have you ever had a situation where you got completely screwed by something you didn't expect in such a spectacularly sadistic way that you could do nothing but laugh? Share them here!

Let me start it off with 2 messages that I got in a row:
    Happy birthday!
    You feel old.

Looking for Keethrax in the DD. I open a door, step in, and immediately go from full (~40) HP to the negatives from a giant slug's acid breath.
    "And light there be!"

One of the worst I've seen is when you go down a stairs and find yourself next to a vortex that immediately blows up and kills you.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

The one that will stay with me the most was a mist elf thief. I had just invested a few hours into the character, it was level 10 or 11. So naturally it had a solid 45 hp at most or something. I have to run away from something and find myself on a CoC level with a river. 4 squares wide. Thankfully, the corridor I'm in connects to the only part of the river where there is actually a square right in the middle. I figured I'd swim to it, pray or w5, then continue on when my HP allows it again.

I enter the river, and it goes as follows:
    You are drowning!
    You are drowning!
    I step onto the Square of Safety, happy that I made it.
    Suddenly a stone block hits your head! You die..

Empty tiles in the middle of a river are always trapped. It's one of those quirks ADOM dungeon generation has.

Another: enter your first dungeon, walk three tiles, get your head smashed by a stone block.
    "And light there be!"

My most memorable one was a low level character who ran into a threat room full of ogre mages, ran away and had his path blocked by another threat room full of ice vortices.

Oh and another one: in DH:1, a quickling lord starts fighting with a chaos spider, gets turned into a super fast purple J and then turns on me. He attacked me like 20 times in one turn.

I will also never forget the time when I was waiting 2000 turns in the library after clearing it of monsters, only to find out that chaos spawns had filled nearly the whole rest of the level.

And that open threat room full of quickling kings I once found in the scintillating caves, blocking the stairs.. ugh.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 07-25-2015 at 06:15 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I had a great thief started, high elf iirc, and he found an Adamantium Dagger of Devastation in the early game! Problem was he still had a cursed weapon stuck in his hand with no means of removal. Finally around level 12 or so got a potion of holy water, got the damn thing off, put on the awesome dagger, and next door he opened... KABOOM. Destroys the new dagger. That I had just put on. That I had carried around for so long waiting to use.

Stopped playing that character in disgust. I think my reaction was along the lines of "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?!?"

That reminds me... on at least two separate occasions I have had an RoDS destroyed by a door rune trap.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    That reminds me... on at least two separate occasions I have had an RoDS destroyed by a door rune trap.
    Seems like the only things the exploding door trap can't destroy is eternium and artifacts.

Just a couple days ago, I rolled a GE thief.
    I had a successful run in SMC and decided to descend to UD, with a whopping 9 PV and 40 HP.
    "You feel a surge of power."
    Ok, let's see this. Enter the first room next to the staircase, a named troll throws a rock at me and kills me in one shot. -5 HP.
    It was the artifact guardian and it was guarding... Serpent's Bite. You can't imagine how annoyed I was.
    Worst thing of all - there was an altar in SMC close to the stairs. But of course I had to be on berserk...
    Classic RNG lure&pawn or excite&slam.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."