Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: those questions to change

Default those questions to change

one thing that a bit annoy me in adom are those questions a whole set of it tou need answer each new game started ..
    you could chose random but as its random it is not the choice i want, i want answer meanigfully..
    the problem is i dont want to answer it so many times
    i just think that whole set of this questions should be provided for answer (not random subset) and also you should have at least an option to configure it not fill it up every time again

I used to answer questions every game too, and it was very time consuming. Game become so much better when I stopped worriying about this . It only matters when you play a Troll and want to get max strength and toughness, otherwise the difference in starting conditions is not significant. If your roll is particularly pathetic, you can always generate one more random character.

IMHO, the questions should probably just be removed. There's no real need for them and their effect on gameplay is minimal.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I sometimes would answer the questions to minimize Str when playing a character like Gnome/Halfling weaponsmith. You always get enough STR to cover the starting equipment, so aim low!

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    IMHO, the questions should probably just be removed. There's no real need for them and their effect on gameplay is minimal.
    They provide a lot of flavor to the game, and are one of the things that helped me get hooked on initially.

I wish I'd never read the Guidebook's spoiler on the effects of each answer
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    as i understand (not sure) effects are unknown (partially known partially unknown) so im not sure if they are minimal - if so i use them to answer them according to my personalized answers.. this wastes time and not improve you
    feeling you choice something for you

Overall notrelated to above, i must say i tend to dislike p23 -> r59 changes, now window do not fits to my preferred 640x480 resolution, this djini exchange trick
    cut down, those movements when attack... nah i seem to dislike it :C

The effects are known. The Guidebook gives a complete list of what every question does.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Well... How did they even figure out all that modifiers in the Guidebook? Or even a different question: how can *I* figure it out, without the Guidebook by hand?

For example:

17. The final day of your apprenticeship has come. All hardships have been mastered, all lessons learned, all gripes forgotten. Quite pleasantly your master surprises you with a farewell gift. One of four to be exact.Will you...

...pick a pair of sturdy boots to aid your travels? Le -1, To +1
    ...select a slender dagger to ensure your safety? Dx +1, To -1
    ...choose a small pouch of coins to get you past the worst? Ch +1, Ma -1
    ...go for a few final bits of advice to help you on your way? Le +1, Dx -1

Did you see? Boots of stupidity, deseased dagger and quite bad advice, nice gifts as it turned out. Maybe I could guess it if there would be only first two choices, they make some sense.

Even if would know what all answers mean, answering these questions is too boring. I want to play the game, not a quiz! If they would be somewhere in the game itself, it would be more interesting.

Case 1: Some attributes, notably appearance, charisma, perception, mana and (<20) dexterity have little impact on early game survivability. Some questions are more equal than the rest.

Case 2: There's this thing called 'point-buy character creation' that's been in tRPGs for 25 years. Check it out.

Case 3: I don't see a reason to cherry-pick your stats besides boosting learning past 15 (for bonus skill advances) and mana past 17 (for heir talent).

I just random. I blow through so many characters in the early game, if I answered the damn questions each time I'd spend more time doing that than actually playing.