Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing good name for a PC

Default Choosing good name for a PC

Hi! Every time I roll a new character, the question arises, "What is your name, my dear?"
    At this point I usually stuck. Any advice?

All my chars are named 'B'.
    Ostensibly difficult to guess, it's short for Blasphemous.
    Usually they end up dead with that excuse of a name attached to them, unless they have somehow deserved to carry one.
    Then I will take the time and use uncle Google extensively to find one that fits.
    Doesn't happen too often though and I have more gate closers named 'B' than those carrying a unique name.
    Besides it's faster when you're rolling a lot characters looking for specific starting conditions.
    I see no point giving them a fancy name just to press shift+q when they don't meet the expectations or get ambushed by some goblins and crited to death with a fucking rock.
    Let them earn the name.
    Figuring out what's that going to be will be a pleasure rather than a chore.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 08-03-2015 at 08:45 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Besides it's faster when you're rolling a lot characters looking for specific starting conditions.
    I see no point giving them a fancy name just to press shift+q when they don't meet the expectations or get ambushed by some goblins and crited to death with a fucking rock.
    Agreed. I name all of them "--". If they get somewhere, I'll think of a proper name, which can be pretty much anything - a reference to some funny in-game event, any random word I read on the Internet or song lyrics, etc.
    "And light there be!"

All of thoughtfully, creatively named characters die to claw bugs in the puppy cave.

And of course my top three high scores are named Ugly (an orc), Dumb (a troll), and Milton (a female dwarf that I thought was male for most of the game).

Hmmmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing View Post
    Hmmmmmm.....
    I tend to use fantasy name generators. Well, if mood is right.

I used to chose mythical names, but since they tend to have very fast deaths now I call everyone Mario....

I just use a random name from a random language except my native. Since I know English the best, my high score list is full of names like Mike and Steve.
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

Back in the days when I still had zero gate closers and all my characters died in really stupid and annoying ways, I gave my characters cynical names like "Hopeless", "Fuckface" or "AlreadyDead". Then I thought it might be a self-fulfilling prophecy when characters named like that died all the time and I decided to give them fancier names. For quite a while I gave them fancy scientific Latin plant names, like Metasequoia, Laurocerasus and Magnolia, until finally I scored my first gate-closer, a High Elven Archer named Liriodendron.

I have developed a trend where I name all my characters for an ethnicity of real-world humans.
    For example, all my drakelings have Japanese names, all my Ratlings are named like Spaniards, all my Trolls have African-American names, High Elves have French names, Dark Elves have Arabic names, Grey Elves have German names, Orcs have Russian names, Mist Elves have Native American names, etc.

This makes it pretty damn easy to come up with a name for my many randomly generated characters and also allows me a sort of common culture for each race.