Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: You're playing the wrong race

While I concede that mist elves are mostly only worth it for the role-playing aspect, I think they're a decent fit for Necromancers. You get Alertness/Alchemy, Herbalism, Dodge, Stealth and Find Weakness, Appraising and Food Preservation, Literacy and Concentration, and let's not forget (white) Necromancy! My current character (lvl 17 - just finished the Pyramid in overtime) has an entourage of well-trained Stone Golems that I often have to station somewhere so they don't destroy everything and steal my exp. Learning and Mana are 32/34. They make fantastic arcane casters. His spells include frost bolt at efficiency 49, and with the fire immunity from crowning I'm rather looking forward to ToEF.

Granted, I had to be super careful at the start. Spawn run to the SMC, then straight to the ID -> lvl 10. By the time he emerged he had no trouble blasting through the VD and PC. Now he's double post-crowned (lust of glory and shirt of the saints) and a rather decent melee fighter too. Hasn't even sat foot in CoC yet. Once I get his elemental intrinsics solid, I think he's good gate-closer material for sure.

I'm playing a Mist Elf Beastfigher.
    Oh yeah, quite certainly the wrong race for that class.

Wish me luck - or perhaps Find Weakness?

--

well, that was quick.
    Dead now, paralyzed by a ghul, and dead.

I guess that trapped that destroyed a bunch of PV items really was my doom after all.
    Last edited by Mobius; 08-30-2015 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by asdalol View Post
    After seeing this thread I tried a hurthling fighter... They rock! The early game is tricky as they are quite squishy and don't deal much damage for being aa melee class, but they are also extremely deadly with rocks/sling. Carrying around stuff it's quite painful, but (blessed) girdles of carrying are quite common; also I was lucky enough to find a couple of potions of (potential) strenght so now my strenght is in the 20s and I'm using Big Punch without big problems.

Also: having found sling bullets of <foo> slaying should make my life much easier with bosses.
    Aaaaaaand... He's gone.
    One shotted by a ghost king... I didn't know they could age you by 70 years with a single hit. It was unexpected as I recently had a human character that survived a few hits by ghost kings and I thought an hurthling could survive a little aging. Oh well.
    I really thought I had a gate closer here. Another character killed by suicidal overconfidence.
    Last edited by asdalol; 08-31-2015 at 09:16 AM.
    Gate closed with all classes but Chaos Knight! (Still no Ultra/OCG)

Quote Originally Posted by platypower View Post
    While I concede that mist elves are mostly only worth it for the role-playing aspect, I think they're a decent fit for Necromancers. You get Alertness/Alchemy, Herbalism, Dodge, Stealth and Find Weakness, Appraising and Food Preservation, Literacy and Concentration, and let's not forget (white) Necromancy! My current character (lvl 17 - just finished the Pyramid in overtime) has an entourage of well-trained Stone Golems that I often have to station somewhere so they don't destroy everything and steal my exp. Learning and Mana are 32/34. They make fantastic arcane casters. His spells include frost bolt at efficiency 49, and with the fire immunity from crowning I'm rather looking forward to ToEF.

Granted, I had to be super careful at the start. Spawn run to the SMC, then straight to the ID -> lvl 10. By the time he emerged he had no trouble blasting through the VD and PC. Now he's double post-crowned (lust of glory and shirt of the saints) and a rather decent melee fighter too. Hasn't even sat foot in CoC yet. Once I get his elemental intrinsics solid, I think he's good gate-closer material for sure.
    necro mist elf has alot of things going for him. You also forgot his absolutely insane heir gift.

the toef is very tough unfortunately. If you don't get fire immunity it is borderline impossible since you can't even wear gauntlets.

the current bug with frost bolt spellbooks for necros would make it a tad easier i guess.
    Wins:
    Gnome Assassin / Dwarven Paladin (ULE) / Ratling Duelist (UNE) / High Elf Archer / Gnomish Wizard x ~5 / Gray Elven Wizard (UCG) - Archmage / Gnomish Weaponsmith / Grey Elf Elementalist / Dwarven Priest / Trollish Barbarian / Drakling Farmer / Mist Elf Wizard / Human Beastfighter / Ratling Archer (UNE) / Gnomish Mindcrafter

Classes Left
    Many!

Quote Originally Posted by asdalol View Post
    Aaaaaaand... He's gone.
    One shotted by a ghost king... I didn't know they could age you by 70 years with a single hit. It was unexpected as I recently had a human character that survived a few hits by ghost kings and I thought an hurthling could survive a little aging. Oh well.
    I really thought I had a gate closer here. Another character killed by suicidal overconfidence.
    Case closed, Jelly
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Case closed, Jelly
    In the same period of time he could have lost 30 gray elves before level 10? I didn't realise people loved playing the early game over and over and over again so much.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    In the same period of time he could have lost 30 gray elves before level 10? I didn't realise people loved playing the early game over and over and over again so much.
    I agree with you. The early game wasn't that hard, and if I had been just a little more careful it would have been an easy victory. That sudden death really surprised me :P.
    Anyway now I have discovered that hurthlings are badass and that ghost king are even more dangerous that I thought.
    Gate closed with all classes but Chaos Knight! (Still no Ultra/OCG)

By the way, I think hurthlings make great beastfighters, more so than dark elves or even orcs or drakelings perhaps. Beastfighters are more level dependent than any other class, and the fast levelling of hurthlings is amazing for them. Invest the talents into PV and you have a monster going in no time. With the awesome crowning gifts, having an easy source of piety (cooked corpses) is very nice to have as well.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I wouldn't have lost 30 gray elves in that time. 3 perhaps, no more.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Really?
    Average over 100 chars (the wiki numbers are mostly off):
    Hurthling fighters: 10Str, 16 To, 2 PV, short sword + small shield, 50%: bow + 12 av. arrows/ 50%: sling + 6 av. rocks
    High Elven fighters: 15 St, 11 To, 5 PV, long sword + small shield, 1 pot of extra healing.

Give me the latter any time unless you want to burn 3 talents on the girdle. Without Healing those 3 points are quite an issue.

Edit: My bad, Grey Elves: 14 St, 10 To, 5 PV, long sword + small shield, 1 pot of extra healing

Just for the record, badass Dark Elves:
    14 St, 13 To, 5 PV, daggershort sword + small shield, hand crossbow + 15 av. tiny quarrels.
    Yeah, except the dagger part.
    Edit3: hold on, I'm stupid. They get a short sword as well.

Edit2:
    Yeah, see Blasph's response. You can probably go with 99% if you play as a complete paranoid and level up in the ID or something.
    Last edited by _Ln_; 08-31-2015 at 05:57 PM.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.