Thread: Darkforge pools, teleportitis and stupid Berwyn

Default Darkforge pools, teleportitis and stupid Berwyn

It was my first char of the day. I'm kinda a newbie, never been past ToEF (last time ACW took me down with his energy ray), so I usually play a Wizard because they're pretty easy and fun with all the possibilities the spells give.

This time I rolled a gnome, had much luck basically from the beginning (N altar on VD:1, nice eq, good book drops like Acid Ball and CCW etc.). I went VD>PC>SMC>UD>HMV, did the Pyramid and having both Lighting Ball and Teleport (without control, but it hardly works in DF anyway) I proceeded to raid the darkforge.

On the first level I came across a tension room filled with... Lighting Vortexes. Fortunately the doors didn't blow up so I just closed them and tried to teleport to the other side of the map, so I can go downstairs. Killed the first golem with 2 shots of lighting ball and then killed the golems in the hallway without much trouble. Went to the pool room and started sipping, after nearly all the pools dried up, I had a few good intristics, but also cursed, doom and teleportitis.

There was only one pool left, over the water. I had Frost Bolt, so I dropped all my eq on the ground (I know, stupid as hell, should've just swam across), froze the water and went sipping, forgeting that I had acquired teleportitis. After 2 or 3 sips I'm teleported to the middle room, right next to 2 steel golems. I tried to teleport, but it teleported me to the other side of the room. I didn't have PP for teleport anymore, so I went to the bottom door so only 1 of 4 hostile golems would be attacking me. Without any PP, scrolls, potions or wands (all dropped in the pool room) I decided that my only option was blocking and hoping for teleportitis. After a few turns the golem took down my hp down to 20, so I decided to pray. That's what happened (writing from memory, so the prayer part may not be the same words):

You pray to Berwyn. You feel satiated by the power of manna. Steel Golem critically hits you. You die...

Don't know why I was satiated and not healed, I was hungry but had only 20/119 hp.

BTW, this is my first post, so hi everyone
    Last edited by Sanae; 08-27-2015 at 04:20 PM.

(I know, stupid as hell, should've just swam across)
    this is how we learn !

I... personally would have waited longer to tackle darkforge. Fire breathing is pretty annoying in terms of item destruction w/o fireproof blankets, and as you've realized it can be dangerous running out of PP, so being able to melee golems is convenient (unless you're a mistelf with near unlimited casts :P). You could make the argument that pool sipping is better early rather than later so you have less possible intrinsics to lose, and more time to reacquire them, plus the early gear is great, but I've just found darkforge to be unnecessarily dangerous. Though it sounds like you could've been fine if you had thought it threw a little better lol.

I do think the prayer priority order is a bit awry sometimes, but it's one of those things whether I wonder it's by design or not. I've seen games where some 'feature' widely known by the players only came to the attention of the dev years later after which they go "oh, that's a bug". I used to just automatically assume that the way a given game is is the way it's supposed to be and you have to take it and like it, but sometimes you can be surprised by what the developer didn't know (not saying it's the case with this developer, but you get the idea).

Quote Originally Posted by Sanae View Post
    On the first level I came across a tension room filled with... Lighting Vortexes. Fortunately the doors didn't blow up so I just closed them and tried to teleport to the other side of the map, so I can go downstairs. Killed the first golem with 2 shots of lighting ball and then killed the golems in the hallway without much trouble. Went to the pool room and started sipping, after nearly all the pools dried up, I had a few good intristics, but also cursed, doom and teleportitis.
    What were you looking for with your pool sipping? It's usually a good idea to try to clear dooming as soon as it comes up, since being doomed prevents you from getting a wish.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.