Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do wizards kill the guys guarding Darkforge?

Default How do wizards kill the guys guarding Darkforge?

I'm playing a Hurtling wizard and need better gear. So I gave the door guard to Darkforge a try and found he outclassed me, badly. None of my spells worked on him and I couldn't hurt him with my wimpy adamantium rapier. I ended up running away.

So now I'm kind of stuck. I need better weapons and armor to beat the guards to Darkforge, but I need to kill the Darkforge guys to get into the vaults there and steal some gear.

Do any spells work? I don't have teleport control, despite my best efforts so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    I'm playing a Hurtling wizard and need better gear. So I gave the door guard to Darkforge a try and found he outclassed me, badly. None of my spells worked on him and I couldn't hurt him with my wimpy adamantium rapier. I ended up running away.

So now I'm kind of stuck. I need better weapons and armor to beat the guards to Darkforge, but I need to kill the Darkforge guys to get into the vaults there and steal some gear.

Do any spells work? I don't have teleport control, despite my best efforts so far.
    Some elements do work.

Lightning should work. Lightning ball is perfect, bolts do work eventually though steel golems are good at shrugging them. Otherwise, penetration weapons, phase daggers or high damage weapon and at least 120 HP (preferably 150) as they crit hard. Teleport control fails in darkforge most of the time.

Unless you can afford to spend a bunch of time in melee and have excessive lightning bolt knowledge, it's not worth it trying to clear with just lightning bolt. They shrug too often, it's extremely annoying. There's plenty of areas to clear to get yourself stronger before trying to clear it. They're weak to ball spells, especially lightning ball of course, if you happen to get lucky with books early on.

If you're fast and have lots of teleport to burn, you can just randomly teleport around Darkforge until you get close/into one of the treasury rooms. This is a pretty high-risk proposition since you still need to get out, but if you're really desperate...

If you work your way through the dwarf quests, Big Punch does enough damage to beat your way through the golems. Construct slaying missiles aren't super rare, so that's an option too. If you happen to have a scroll of familiar summoning, you can use it in Dwarven Halls or the crumbling cave (R6) to get a powerful pet. It's a bit of a lottery as to whether you'll get a useful pet, but about half of the available pets are probably strong enough to clear Darkforge. Of course, this last method means you don't get the xp from clearing the golems, but if it's just a weapon you need, that's maybe a way to go.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Thanks guys.

No Ball spells yet. I do have Lightning Bolt, but get bored easily, so I probably won't try to do it that way. I'll keep an eye out for weapons to help me kill the guys or a familiar summoning thing. I do have a wand of Monster Creation. If I bless it do I get a pet?

I can't do the Arena unfortunately because I am invisible. I was drinking from pools trying to get Teleport Control, but did not get it. I did get a Wish though! I used it to save the Dying Sage. Not sure if that was the best choice or not yet.

No. Yes, probably, the amount of scrolls you get along with the other items is very strong for a wish. Corruption removal can be more or less equated to stats (greater black unicorn quest, orb guardian corpses) so it's a pretty good move to make your PC as strong as possible.

I know this story. It also makes crowning via live sacrifices hardly imaginable.
    Freedom through action!

Typically ~10 missiles of construct slaying is enough to kill golems at the entrance and both those guarding the central forge room and armor/weapon rooms.
    If you play an elven wizard, they can double up as archers which makes this a simple task.
    Even simpler is lightning ball on coward but ice ball works too, if you're desperate or even acid ball.
    Occasionally a decent weapon of penetration does the job but only if I have plenty of means to heal because it entails berserk or at least very aggressive tactics setting.
    Greater earth elemental summon is a good choice too but there's an off chance a golem will land some crits and it will panic or get destroyed.
    It's advised to level the elemental up first, at least till it's experienced.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    I'm playing a Hurtling wizard and need better gear.
    I need better weapons and armor to beat the guards to Darkforge
    Best weapons for wizards are spellbooks. So i suggest attacking library instead of darkforge.

For wizards the library also has a guaranteed spellbook of Lightning Ball.