Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Help on D50 pls!

A big downside with save scumming is that you will survive situations you normally shouldn't. You will basically get away with being unprepared and crappy overall, so it's no wonder that the final battle seems impossible.

Even though everything getting up to it was more or less a doddle? It seems like the game rewards abuse of the mechanics instead of the class and level achievement. Considering how totally handicapped characters can finish the game, I am disappointed that mine couldn't, I guess. I can't think how I would play differently knowing what I know now, except to waste time capitalising on op mechanics- herb stat increases and archery.

Maybe I'm just not seeing how badly off this character is. If it weren't for the corruption I could chip away at nine balors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
    Even though everything getting up to it was more or less a doddle?
    Did you ever revert to a save? If you did, it wasn't more or less a doddle.

Maybe I'm just not seeing how badly off this character is. If it weren't for the corruption I could chip away at nine balors.
    I don't know, even with characters with twice your stats I never feel comfortable meleeing balors. Also, they can summon almost anything so you really want to be quick about it.
    Last edited by manseman; 09-29-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Considering everyone has to do the same final level, it's a wonder it's fair for all class combinations. Suppose it isn't!

I can't think how I would play differently knowing what I know now, except to waste time capitalising on op mechanics- herb stat increases and archery.
    not really sure what you're saying, bc you already said you used herbs a bunch to increase your stats on your current character.

it doesn't actually take much time to level archery at all, pretty much ignore it til you get some great stats on a bow/xbow and find a monster that gives you ton of marks and then use up your garbage ammo (depending how threatening it is, just enter defensive mode and hold down t for a bit).

It seems like the game rewards abuse of the mechanics instead of the class and level achievement.
    doesn't make any sense to me, class and level achievements are also mechanics, if they were overpowered wouldn't that also just be "abusing" them? what's the difference except that one feels more intuitive to you?

I mean i guess your complaint is that adom is full of not fully intuitive tricks to get ahead, which is reasonable, but it's actually pretty straightforward to get a gate closing win without much grinding at all. Probably the most annoying grinding that I *have* to do every playthrough is live saccing for crowning tbh, but that's just because i like to get it earlire as opposed to later when it's trivial with gold.

if you got stuck doing an ultra i'd understand your annoyance a bit more with the randomness and unintuitiveness, but i don't think it's all that weird to expect someone to train their archery skills so that you could actually use those arrows of -foo- slaying that you've found by the time very late game rolls around. Of all the unintuitive mechanics has in the game, this is one of the least offensive...

Considering everyone has to do the same final level, it's a wonder it's fair for all class combinations. Suppose it isn't!
    ? it's super obviously not fair for every class combination. Adom has never supposed to be balanced, some are harder than others.
    Last edited by Burb; 09-29-2015 at 09:16 AM.

I spent a lot of time hungry, eating cursed food on account of poisoned hands before I found thick gloves.Maybe that's something to do with how long everything took me. Also, hard to drink potions.

My failure was relying on my spells when I could have used archery. I didn't realise my spells would be useful only up until D50 and then be useless, for all intents and purposes. I mean, I could have spent a LOT more time grinding. As it was, only in passing ( throw some money at trainer, carefully take some herbs).

spells are not useless on d50, you just don't have very good spells (no acid ball, no acid bolt, no iceball, low knowledge and effectiveness in magic missile, low knowledge and effectiveness in lightning ball). You really only have high effectiveness in fire bolt and frost bolt, and you've actually wasted a ton of spell knowledge of frost bolt already, 400 might not be sufficient to spam your way through D50.

I mean, up til now you've faced tons of monsters with elemental immunity right? Once again, why would you assume that you wouldn't need to work around that by late game?

i'd still be interested in seeing if i could win with your save if you're willing to post it
    Last edited by Burb; 09-29-2015 at 10:01 AM.

My failure was relying on my spells when I could have used archery. I didn't realise my spells would be useful only up until D50 and then be useless, for all intents and purposes. I mean, I could have spent a LOT more time grinding. As it was, only in passing ( throw some money at trainer, carefully take some herbs).
    Eh? You can kill most, if not all, monsters on D:50 with elemental bolts or minor punishment. The balors are easy if you have demon slaying ammo, but that doesn't mean they are impossible without.
    Last edited by manseman; 09-29-2015 at 10:02 AM.