Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still playing in 1.2.0 pre 23, looking for some advice

Oh, at level 18 I gained knowledge of Heal, Destroy Undead, some crap I don't remember right now - and Acid Ball. Can I even cast spells without Concentration? And if I can, it will use up a lot of castings, right?

I've got some adamantium long swords and stuff, but the damage is ... not sufficient for end-game. I'm up to Water Temple, but that's not going to be a problem, it's easy. I guess I'll just keep going and see what happens. I haven't done Darkforge, yet, so it might be worth a look now - might even luck out on a good weapon or some red dragon scale male or something!

Concentration does not affect the number of casting you use, AFAIK. It just affects how quickly your PP regenerates (and how easily you read books). If you aren't using spells frequently at all, you can probably get by without it.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    For one thing he can't even take his SoS to ToEF without Ring of Ice. Secondly all fireball traps, all acid traps, all fire and acid breaths can melt his SoS. Sure you can put your trust in RNG, but why do it when you have higher damage indestructible weapon?
    I have a lot of unidentified rings on me right now, so hopefully one of them turns out to be a ring of ice. Anyway ... weapons aren't a big problem right now, but I'm just looking forward to the endgame and things like balors and other high-PV menaces. At least I have plenty of corruption removal available.

I did do a quick Darkforge run (easy with the phase dagger), which netted me some eternium weapons (including a 2-handed sword) and ... red dragon scale mail! Thanks, Kherab, sorry about all those steel golems of yours I smashed.

Think I'll come back to this tomorrow after a good sleep and work tomorrow - I've lost too many promising toons to playing tired and doing dumb stuff. Once I do the Water Temple and dive to the 'curtain of fire', I guess I'll be ready for ToEF tomorrow night, assuming I do have a ring of ice (or find one in the meantime).

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Concentration does not affect the number of casting you use, AFAIK. It just affects how quickly your PP regenerates (and how easily you read books). If you aren't using spells frequently at all, you can probably get by without it.
    I've sculled down quite a few raw mana pots, and eaten two ogre mage corpses which gave me the 'you feel closer to the mana flow of blah blah blah', so it might not be so bad. I'm not planning to start using spells at all frequently until I get Concentration - although having access to Heal gives me a good panic button without having to use any of my extra/ultra healing pots just yet.

RoI is always mithril ring.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

For one thing he can't even take his SoS to ToEF without Ring of Ice.
    So? You don't actually know if this is relevant - it's quite possible he doesn't have enough other fire proof equipment to viably do it without a ring of ice *regardless*, and even if he does need to switch for the tower, so what? I never said anything about "you need to wield this weapon 100% of the time".

Secondly all fireball traps, all acid traps, all fire and acid breaths can melt his SoS. Sure you can put your trust in RNG
    I didn't tell him to put his trust in the RNG, I specifically said to have a backup. Remember, he is a dark elf and with 100 alertness he's got pretty good chances to avoid traps and breath attacks. Honestly traps are probably not going to be an issue aside from maybe the maze. But you can always swap in and out for this one particular area if you really need to.

In all honesty I don't remember the last time I've ever had an iron weapon actually *destroyed* by elemental effects. Greater rust monsters, sure, otherwise if it's blessed and you aren't doomed + alertness I would put money on the item lasting him the whole game.

, but why do it when you have higher damage indestructible weapon?
    Because big punch has other drawbacks. It's only on average +3 damage, which is not much considering the dv penalty and absolutely not worth any speed penalty he might incur with its ridiculous weight.

I should mention traps aren't a real problem. I have Alertness, Dodge, Detect Traps and Disarm Traps - all at 100. And Dex 28 or so. The Pyramid was even easier than normal.

And I have enough fireproof gear to do the Tower - the only thing is ring of ice, which I might be carrying around undetected. I haven't checked yet.

And I'm not dumb enough to melee giant rust monsters and other corrosive crap with an iron weapon.
    Last edited by magpie; 10-09-2015 at 08:20 AM.

For one thing he can't even take his SoS to ToEF without Ring of Ice.
    I have often used iron weapons in the ToEF without ring of ice. I never lost one. Having a good Luck attribute helps (I always wear the Ankh there). Blessing it helps too. Iron equipment is far more resistant to destruction than stuff like seven league boots and bows.
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 10-09-2015 at 08:50 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I'm pretty sure all my iron equipment melts somewhere in the tower, but alright. I see your points.
    But if SoS gets destroyed and he gets left with nonnak and random adamantinum swords - that's gonna be fun.
    Please tell us later how that game went.

I prefer BP if I can deal with the weight.
    Even use blessed girdle of carry if need be.
    Less bad rng risk is good.
    Spells are nice to have but the lack of castings/books lead to not so good casting skill so they won't be as effective. Still some monsters are very conveniant to kill with spells and some utility (invis, tele, farsee)are very nice to have.
    I would rather have girdle of giant strength as bard than conventration but as dark elf you have great mana and mana regen so ...
    And you will be certain to find other players here that would choose different.