Thread: Pet behaviour while owner is incapacitated

Default Pet behaviour while owner is incapacitated

I recently lost a bard to ghul paralysis and I noticed in the message log that my pet did nothing while I was under attack despite being right next to it.

I know there are some quirks to pet behaviour while attacking adjacent monsters. It seems to be an actual feature to diminish XP stealing. But I was wondering if anyone had means to test this. Paralyze a PC and see if the pet acts on your behalf while the PC is under this effect. I do not have the savegame so I cannot test this anymore, but if the pet is rendered immobile while you are paralyzed this would qualify as a bug IMO
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

I've played around quite a bit with pets recently, and my experience is that a pet will not deliberately seek out and attack a monster that is attacking the PC unless the PC attacks them back. If they wander adjacent to a hostile monster, they might attack it, but they might not, or they might only a couple turns later.

OTOH, I'm pretty sure that I have had pets save me from paralysis deaths before where I had actually engaged the monster first.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Hmmm, OK.

Since it was a swarm of summoned ghuls I didn't get a chance to engage and maybe that's why my pet haven't saved me. Thx
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

This sounds worth a RFE. I remember one recently that requested that pets be more smart that was a little broad, but I think it'd be an acceptable change to disable the pets-xp-hog check if the pet notices the PC is in no position to get xp.