Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best race in ADOM?

Default Best race in ADOM?

What do you think is the best race in ADOM? Of course, any discussion of this nature is likely to be highly subjective, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

I'd have to go with Dark Elf - obviously. Awareness and Find Weakness are ridiculously good skills to start off with, and help basically every class. The only downsides are starting as chaotic (which is easily fixed, should you wish to) and low-ish Toughness, which is also fairly easy to fix. Even if you can't, Dark Elf skills make it easier to avoid damage and to do more damage, so it's not so bad. Plus, Dark Elf's the race I've done my three gate closings with, so I'm biased toward them for that reason.

What do you think?

Oh, this thread again.
    Hurthlings worst race confirmed.

Gray Elves are the best of course. Nobody can dispute this fact.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Cannot reliably answer since I don't play all the races (very rarely touch drakelings or orcs or trolls or hurthlings or gnomes; used to play dwarves and high elves but not so much these days ).

I think human might be the weakest, though, overall (even with the recent buff).

It also depends a lot on goal-setting. If you have a certain agenda, for game ending or certain locations, some races do better than others.

Too many factors at play, but maybe if you narrowed it down by qualifying the question it would be easier. (I suppose that's a sign that the races are fairly balanced?)
    Last edited by auricbond; 10-16-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    What do you think is the best race in ADOM?
    Best for what?
    Freedom through action!

Best for everything of course!
    Gray elves work perfectly well as wizards, archers, barbarians, CKs, monks, mindcrafters, thieves, assassins and merchants.

I don't play anything that doesn't live for at least 300 years.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    Oh, this thread again.
    Yep. The TH thread lives forever, but this one reincarnates.

Dwarf is the best race. Good starting stats, mithril skin is quite nice, and good age too. And their god loves gold (one of the few racial preferred sacrifices that actually matters).
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Best race is Drakeling. I do not play a race that cannot play music. I also like to breeze through ToEF with 300 speed.

Mist elves. I've beaten the game with almost every class with them so far, it's almost cheating they are so overpowered.

Dark Elves Master Race, Drakeling scrubs are to be happy content with the 2nd place.

Author of any other opinion expressed in this thread will be automatically labelled as a noob and laughed at. AlterAsc gets a free pass for correctly naming hurthling to be the worst race.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.