Thread: Training Mana

Default Training Mana

Well. I got a drake necromancer that has very low mana (12 right now). I found a hand axe of penetration and got precrowned with the robes of resistance. So I have good To, good hitpoints, good PV and good damage (dual blessed ring of damage). Because of that i'm basically playing a melee char with auxiliary magic.

But i'm gonna need better mana...way better... for the coming dire situations. I'm book casting light to train it up and my question is: does it make any difference wich spell i use? If I use a stronger, more costly spell, will it train faster? Or it is equivalent.. like...10 castings of light at 4PP is the same as one of magicmap at 40pp so the only thing that matters is how much PP i'm using?

also I know that creating slaves trains mana but I'm lawful right now and I'm gonna remain like that for some time so crating armies of slaves isn't in my plans right now.

The fastest way by far is to make slaves--you're necromancer! If you have a blessed amulet of balance, you can limit the effects on your alignment, I guess, but you're much better off just going chaotic for awhile. At low levels, you can switch back easily enough later.

I don't think it matters that much whether you use big spells or small spells repeatedly, it's whatever drains your PP out. Bookcasting is nice because it drains your PP by a lot and doesn't use up castings.

But seriously. Use slaves. You will gain Mana 10x as fast as repeated castings.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

PP's will regen very quickly if you stand on
    the 'tiny island' in Terinyo, and that might
    help if you go the route of repeated castings.
    As for which does a better job, I always go
    with bookcasting, but I don't have any code
    dived info to support it.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    PP's will regen very quickly if you stand on
    the 'tiny island' in Terinyo
    Really? I never knew about that....
    I haven't yet finished an ADOM game, but i haven't given up on trying yet either.

Remember to use up all your PP while walking in wilderness. It trains mana really quickly due to fast PP regeneration.

Man, it's all about the slaves.
    Necrophilia isn't *that* bad!
    --Kyle Cope, a gentleman and a scholar.

slaves ftw. generally from my experience, from every slave you make get get a profit of +1 Ma over time.
    To this day I have not once scummed in ADOM.
    Probably why I dont have a win.