Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Item Destruction

Default Item Destruction

Has item destruction been ramped way up since the development has resumed? I keep getting just tremendous piles of items destroyed by the smallest events. And it seems to target my most valuable and rare items first.

I drank from a pool just now and fell in. This is what happened:
    rusted: 3 different keys, wand of teleport.
    scrolls drenched: blank, light x2, gold detect, identify x 1, papyrus x 1, danger, charging.
    spellbooks drenched: cure light wounds, light, revelation, slow monster.

Does this seem unreasonable to anyone else?

Yeah, now water in general is more likely to rust/drench your stuff than in older versions... After losing something like 80% of my scrolls and half of my books with a character some time ago I started to go to the small cave with all my characters for the blanket.
    Gate closed with all classes but Chaos Knight! (Still no Ultra/OCG)

Water is being made worse to devalue the easy-to-obtain swimming skill and to stress more importance on bridge building. People are sacrificing the safety of their characters because one of the most coveted items in this game is a damn rain tarp.

I'm becoming less and less fond of water in this game. Unless logs stop putting plays from burdened to strained! in one go, or logs are made more available within the dungeons themselves, or water stops being such a nuisance, or bridges can be made from sticks, or water starts being more than a free item shredder, I'm going to scream. I get that water is a hazard, full stop, and seeing it should make me afraid. I still dislike the fact that there is absolutely nothing you can do with it, or around it. I don't like that you can't use it to your advantage without suffering from its side effects unless you have teleport + teleport control (which is honestly the best bridge in the game save for that one time you can't use it to get an item that's really nice-- but even then, if you have T + TC, you can bypass THAT person, too). I wanna swim circles around my opponents, damn it. I wanna splash in the water without having to worry about all my precious items. I want it to be interactive besides ZAP WAND OF BRIDGE BUILDING, USE BRIDGE BUILDING, and YOUR BODY IS THE BRIDGE.

/rant
    Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    Lifespan that allows not you cower in fear and equip 'ring of hide me', 'wand of get away from me' and 'arrows of please don't hit me'.
    - AlterAsc talks about the problem with Trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Worst case scenario, grab the shield of raw steel and laugh your way through the tower.
    - JellySlayer carrying one of my characters.

There is a fairly easy-to-acquire waterproof blanket available right at the start of the game.

I haven't noticed water to be particularly worse than previous versions--water always had the potential to damage lots and lots of items--and it is a comparatively easy hazard to deal with.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by skjarl View Post
    Has item destruction been ramped way up since the development has resumed? I keep getting just tremendous piles of items destroyed by the smallest events. And it seems to target my most valuable and rare items first.

I drank from a pool just now and fell in. This is what happened:
    rusted: 3 different keys, wand of teleport.
    scrolls drenched: blank, light x2, gold detect, identify x 1, papyrus x 1, danger, charging.
    spellbooks drenched: cure light wounds, light, revelation, slow monster.

Does this seem unreasonable to anyone else?
    As far as I recall water have always been very destructive.
    Drop everything made of paper and iron on the shores if you don't have blanket or use teleport,ice/log-bridge.

However rain (and possibly effects?) have been very reduced since 1.1 or so.

After getting a decent hang of the mechanics I only fret about no swim/no blanket riverlevels in early game, especially ud can be tricky if you also know smc contains nasty things you barely escaped.

Curious Question - what happens if you use a wand of door creation on a water tile?

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    There is a fairly easy-to-acquire waterproof blanket available right at the start of the game.

I haven't noticed water to be particularly worse than previous versions--water always had the potential to damage lots and lots of items--and it is a comparatively easy hazard to deal with.
    Water traps have definitely been beefed up. It is a bit crazy how much damage they can do, if you don't have a waterproof blanket. I have not noticed any difference with swimming or rain however.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

I agree with Jelly - I see no noticeable increase in how water (traps/pools/rivers) affects items.
    Maybe it's because I always go for SMC blanket and then only experience an occasional rusting (crossbows seem to go first, followed by bracers).
    I agree it can be nasty without a blanket.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I think most of us go for the SMC blanket, but you don't always get it. If you doubt water traps has been changed just load 1.1.1 and compare the differences.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 10-22-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

Well, after losing another 20 scrolls and 8 spell books to two water traps, I finally went back and got that damned blanket. What a pain.