Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Undervalued Items

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    how you pay for smithing is the level of boredom you are willing to put up with.
    Yup. And seeing how rarely people really bother with smithing, it is a high price.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    The two-hit penalties
    Wait, did I just find a spelling error in a post from Jellyslayer? That is more rare than finding a wand of wishing!
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 10-30-2015 at 09:59 AM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke77 View Post
    - ratling food (same here, these are so good they alter the game experience, the weight/nutrition/commonness/easiness needs altering)
    What's with all the people thinking satiation problem should persist through the whole game? It's an earlygame annoyance and should stay so.

In my current ultra attempt, I arrived at the arena to find none of the ratling traders were offering cooked lizards. I'm stuck with effin' fried bats. Assuming some random critter picked a fight with one of the traders.

Thrown rocks. Any character can benefit from picking up a pile of these, it can save their life no matter what class they are.

Torches - that extra vision can be a big difference maker in seeing something far ahead and knowing when to run or what you're up against.

Quote Originally Posted by platypower View Post
    In my current ultra attempt, I arrived at the arena to find none of the ratling traders were offering cooked lizards. I'm stuck with effin' fried bats. Assuming some random critter picked a fight with one of the traders.
    Maybe but I can't recall ever seeing a monster engage them, they seem invisible to enemies, like Khel is. The ratling rebel on the other hand, seems to wind up dead around 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    how you pay for smithing is the level of boredom you are willing to put up with. IMO it is the most broken skill in the game since at mid levels you can easily smith an extra 30 PV/DV. gg from that point.
    I only do it near late game after I have what is likely my final gear, and only use what I've found from ants and random drops. That said, it's still a free +10/+10 before the final last few hurdles which helps a lot.

I smith exactly 2 times in a normal gate closer game, first time is mid-game, I get the skill, then train it by unrusting stuff and making ingots so about 1 game day. Then when I get my final gear, I waste another 1-2 game days adding a few DV/PV to things then do my final run. On an ultra, I add a few more days and maybe mine too. It's not that involved if you limit your usage.

Wyrmlance, used for the first time in current game, I started from almost no skill in polearm and meleed most of a greater red vault.
    I had almost no dragon slaying ammo and no find weakness so I decided to give wyrmlance a try and oh my it was like butter with a hot knife.
    It was a vault with only one wyrm which I also meleed, a bit scary but successful.

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Wyrmlance, used for the first time in current game, I started from almost no skill in polearm and meleed most of a greater red vault.
    I had almost no dragon slaying ammo and no find weakness so I decided to give wyrmlance a try and oh my it was like butter with a hot knife.
    It was a vault with only one wyrm which I also meleed, a bit scary but successful.
    Funny, I have an end-gamer with AoTME, Wyrmlance and an eternium two-handed sword of penetration and the twins, and I can't decide which is dealing the most damage in the bdc, it all feels roughly equal. Maybe because the lion's share of damage is coming from strength and tactic bonuses regardless of weapon...

Let's see ...

Wands of poison are extremely powerful. They're rare for a reason.

Also - wands of digging. They're an item that you take for granted if you have enough; but not having one, and needing one, can be incredibly frustrating. Dwarven chaos knights are worth scumming for this very reason.

Attack wands, in general, are very useful. They trivialise doppleganger kings, which can otherwise be a game-ending threat, and are also great in the late game for softening up greater vaults or the hordes of monsters on D:50.

Potions of raw chaos, and by extension, Moon Sickle. Great for getting rid of annoying cursed items when you don't want to use your holy water, and when you don't have a source of uncursing handy. I used about 6 in my last win. The rate at which they spill in the process is also very low, although high Dexterity might be a factor in that. Of course, you don't use them if you've got other ways to get rid of stuff, but if you don't, they can seriously save you a lot of trouble.

The Sword of Nonnak. Yeah, it's not a great weapon, but the instant Wisdom boost can be invaluable. By extension, otherwise-bad weapons which provide good resistances or stat boosts can be very, very useful, because they only take 1 turn to switch. Trusted One is terrible as a weapon, but the mountain of resistances it offers serve as an awesome panic button.
    Last edited by magpie; 11-04-2015 at 03:21 PM.