Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Ridiculous luck

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    FGJC4 is a guaranteed Greater Vault
    Yeah I know, surge of power was unexpected.

Just started a new (Cup) Orc Nercomancer, in SMC the entry was into an empty room which had a Mithril Large Shield and a Weeping Scimitar of Devestation. VD6 had an Elven Chain Mail on the stairs
    Closed Gate with: Orc Barbarian, Orc Paladin
    Ultra'd with: Gnome Weaponsmith (L+)

Been playing the same build over and over for days, a ratling assassin. Must have made about 40 chars. I am obligated to go straight to smc after filling my questlist, recover the blanket and dive to the bottom, then pre-gen and/or rescue puppy and also try to avoid hitting lv6 and kill kranach as well. They tend to have a low survival rate, but I think having high charisma helps with having more monsters to swap places with...

Normally I don't discover anything much special in the smc but I recently started modifying all my stats to go as LOW as possible instead of putting them where I want, and maybe that has something to do with the reason I found an eths in smc AND a sword of sharpness on UD7 AND a pickaxe all of a sudden. Unfortunately my 3 pv ass got handed to me by a chaos monk before I could make it to the hmv. Probably didn't help that I equipped a ring of doom either.

*edit Might be something to this. Made another with lowest possible stats, found a red elven chain and several other items like a +1,+3 leather cloak in smc, gloves of fidelity (or that might be the last char) and a +2 mithril cap bringing pv to 12 by level 5, found slb's in black market. In my greed (and ambition to kill Keriax by day 30) I decided to steal them, hoping to maneuver around his thugs but he managed to maneuver around them and kill me. I think the fact that I survived three combat rounds with him at level 5 speaks for itself. Of course, it didn't occur to me to equip the slb's to help me flee the situation until after it was too late!
    Last edited by auricbond; 09-29-2016 at 12:32 AM.

I like how the better you get at the game, the more wild risks you're inclined to take. Veteran players know exactly how to play it safe and min max, yet there's always the temptation to abandon safe practices and push a character to it's absolute limits and see how they do.

This has to be the best blink dog ever. Corpse and the item.

20161009214203_1.jpg

It didn't lead to a happy ending (died on ud8 to a stone block from a door), but in smc I found a halberd of defense then went on to fight a goblin that I was having extreme difficulty hitting. Turned out he had picked up and equipped a two handed sword of parrying.

Happened to me a few times this playthrough that I caught myself thinking 'wew this lad is pretty hard to hit' and they would've equipped pretty good armor and stuff. A two handed sword of parrying sounds like a nightmare in SMC on a mob though..

My current playthrough has been a mix of good and bad luck, as always. Finding seven league boots in PC, but no altar before dwarftown. Having 11 PV (the 7lb were -1 pv) at level 15 whilst crossing the animated forest (kick-mining a path outside of it) then having 22 PV within 5 minutes because of lucky big room drops.

Monks are really fun to play but damn they suck at the start.

Started a Dwarf Fighter. Found a good spear among the corpses of an orc patrol. Decided to stick with Axes no matter what.

And then the mad carpenter left me a hatchet of devastation...

Quote Originally Posted by HinterDemGlas View Post
    Started a Dwarf Fighter. Found a good spear among the corpses of an orc patrol. Decided to stick with Axes no matter what.

And then the mad carpenter left me a hatchet of devastation...
    That reminds me of the first time I ever completed his quest he gave me a hatchet of penetration and I was severely disappointed the next few times he gave me a hatchet. Nice find!

Got bracers of pure might on my UD dive at the start of the game, around UD3 on a river map. Massive bonuses for the early game and probably the best surge of power i've gotten. I lured the crystal statue away and swam around to the corridor behind to grab them. Then I got +3 mithril girdle the following floor for a total of 12 pv which is good for a starting ratling assassin. Unfortunately the game seemingly dispatches assassins when you get too lucky; quickling on UD7 went down with a lucky hit but a mummy got a sickening blow at deplorable shape followed by a vortex. I should have just counted my blessings and beat a retreat rather than try and complete the dive.
    Last edited by auricbond; 02-13-2018 at 03:26 PM.