Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's painful to watch new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter Fox View Post
    The entire wipe face command is only for this one particular randomly appearing room effect.
    Incorrect.

edit: Acutally correct. Messed it up with the whip thing, which usually happens from "u". My bad. :3
    Last edited by timeywimey; 06-02-2016 at 11:36 PM.
    Sometimes I wish I would have a smaller dick.

I think the person who made that Youtube video reacted exactly the same as I would have.

Everyone in here who has played this game for ages probably started out in the ASCII version, I'm guessing, where that really critical text message wouldn't have disappeared as fast, and where the disappearance of your character perhaps wouldn't have seemed so out of place, just as the hunting for an obscure keyboard command wouldn't have seemed so out of place in what is soon to be a completely mouse driven interface.

But I don't recall ever seeing a game where going blind leaves the world as it is. I think it's pretty well established that when you go blind, the world goes black.

However, I would like to turn this topic on its head:

It's painful to watch the interface of ADOM for a new player...
    Last edited by eobet; 11-12-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Hi everybody! This is my first post to the forum, though I am playing ADoM since 2000 or something like that (with many long breaks). I had painful experience with interface. The vast amount of commands is intimidating! On the other hand this is why I kept playing! I was amazed how many things you can do within this game. It is like floating on the surface knowing that there's an ocean of possibilities beneath. On the other hand you don't need that many to move around and get pretty far. Another thing is I had little to no internet connection back then and couldn't figure out where should I be headed. Now the knowledge is at hand and you can find what does, for example, certain corpse do to you when eaten and, most important, where you should be headed.
    Anyway my point being: there are games which are intuitive to learn and you can start without even playing through tutorial and there are games which need research. Either in-game or online. Both are satisfying in their own way.

I'm a beginner player in ADoM. Just think about it, everybody was a noob at one point.
    By playing this game and reading forums like this, I hope I won't be a noob for to long haha.
    Check out for http://webtobe.nl/ for interesting website design!

I remember the mud when it 1st hit me. I had no idea what was going on, and after trying several things, I actually started reading the manual to see if I toggled some command by mistake. That is were I found the command to look at past messages and the wipe face command which allowed me put together what happened. I never got upset over it; I thought it was a cool detail, and it was the details that made the game interesting and fun.

This is the reason I encourage non-spoiler for the 1st go around, as spoiler stripes away all the little surprises, and the big surprises. It may take a much longer time, and a lot of experimenting to beat it non-spoiler for the 1st time but it is so worth it.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer