Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pools, risk and reward

Default Pools, risk and reward

I was just wondering how often other people "D"rink from pools when they find them? It can be rewarding, but also has high risks of great play thru going down hill.

I personally drink from pools early game if I find one. But usually skip darkforge pools unless I really need/want something like resitances, teleport control etc really badly. My current character found pool in UD:2 and got death resist and teleport control from it and heard the word "Iceberg". I skipped another pool at UD:5 totally, because I already got great stuff from first one. I'm always little sad to let pool stay, but I have doomed myself too many times trying to drink them all.

Do you always go high risk / reward route and empty all pools you find? Or maybe just sip once from every pool. When do you think it's great time to just leave them? Do you wish pools behaved little differently, maybe drink only once per pool, but more chances of getting good rewards?

The only time I ever sip pools is if I'm sick of playing a character. I don't find wishes or the intrinsics necessary by any means, there's always an item that does the same thing that can be pick pocketed. So there's no risk/reward scenario for me, just risk.

Yes, I would love to have 1 sip with a better chance of something good.

I completely ignore pools unless I really want a wish, which is almost always attempting to save Kelly. Low level characters can die to pools if they get a water elemental or water snakes.
    Then again, there's so many ways for early characters for pools to be the least of your concerns...

I rarely drink from pools in early game, the risk is just too great, especially if you play races with short lifespan.

You get better results from pools if you have +Fate, +Luck, so if i really need to drink from a pool i wait till i have +Fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    The only time I ever sip pools is if I'm sick of playing a character.
    Yes not caring for a char motivates you to sip pools, innit?

Pretty much never these days. By the time a character is strong enough to deal with the downsides of pools it generally doesn't need to take the risk anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ahpla View Post
    I rarely drink from pools in early game, the risk is just too great, especially if you play races with short lifespan.

You get better results from pools if you have +Fate, +Luck, so if i really need to drink from a pool i wait till i have +Fate.

Yes not caring for a char motivates you to sip pools, innit?

ha! yep, its a fun way to kill him off, and it has a small chance to renew my interest via wish

I normally only poolsip when I can deal with any downsides. That means:

- have curia herbs to cure sickness
    - have enough piety to remove curse/doom and know where to find the nearest altar
    - have a spare blink dog corpse ready somewhere to get Teleport Control back, or have an alternative source like a ring of teleport control / be a mindcrafter

So it no longer involves a real risk. Even then, I only bother when I really need to.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I have a rule that I sip every pool I come across once and only once and live(or die) by the consequences.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

So far majority seems to think pools are not worth it. I also skip them mid-late game totally unless I'm ready to kill my character for some reason. I like ghostjghost's style of once every pool, I might try it some day.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    I normally only poolsip when I can deal with any downsides. That means:

- have curia herbs to cure sickness
    - have enough piety to remove curse/doom and know where to find the nearest altar
    - have a spare blink dog corpse ready somewhere to get Teleport Control back, or have an alternative source like a ring of teleport control / be a mindcrafter

So it no longer involves a real risk. Even then, I only bother when I really need to.
    This and very early on.