Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Eve 2015 Challenge

Default Christmas Eve 2015 Challenge

Hello everyone! After some input, I present to you a challenge for Christmas Eve:

Make a dwarf that belongs to one of the following classes:
    Monk
    Mindcrafter
    Wizard
    Necromancer
    Elementalist

The above classes start out with a two-handed staff. You must be wielding a two-handed staff at all times during this challenge (or be empty handed if you do not have a staff).

Earn nine points by completing any of the following challenges, each of which are one point:
    Give candy to a child in Terinyo AND to a child to Dwarftown.
    Food to a beggar.
    Seed to a farmer.
    Booze to Yggaz.
    Plant a small garden (at least a 2 x 2 square) in the High Mountain Village. (worth two points)
    Get the Weird Tome from the Librarian and give it to the Mad Ministrel (worth two points).
    Give a corpse worth at least 100 coins in bounty to Tywat Pare.
    Save the carpenter and give him two hatchets.
    Give Blup a potion of carrot juice.
    Give Bart the golden gladius.
    Give a corrupted being’s corpse to Guth’Alak (i.e. give a corpse that causes Guth’Alak to drop a potion of cure corruption).
    Save the tiny girl’s puppy from the puppy cave alive. (worth two points)
    Find an amulet of life saving and save Khelevaster. (worth two points)

Provide screenshots if you can as proof that you have completed any of the above tasks.

We will be using the last free public release (r60, ASCII version) in order for ease of save file interchangeability. Please note that to participate, you only have to START the character on Christmas Eve and post a notification of it in the thread. (but no clock altering for this). If you are really busy, please feel free to post save files of your character(s) so other people might have a chance to claim it and run the character for themselves (ala RRC). Please note if any of these characters are declared eligible for RRC use, then please keep all claims to a maximum of 4000 turns. Also, feel free to use the public server to start your characters (same turn restrictions apply if you are allowing access to other players).

There is no savescumming allowed on this challenge, nor is any attribute adjustment using the question system. You may however, attempt the challenge as many time as you like on Christmas Eve.

Good luck, and have a merry Christmas! Ho Ho Ho!
    Last edited by kapak44; 12-24-2015 at 06:14 AM.

Santaclaws. Dwarven wizard, born under Unicorn star sign, started his challenge today. I will play more in following days, probably won't have time today. Also I started on steam version r64, because I'm on mobile connection, won't be downloading new version.

Redman - dwarven elementalist, born under salamander - Reunited dog and girl, both were quite happy - gave candy to a teryino child - saved the carpenter, gave him one hatchet - fed a beggar - also killed hotzenplotz and the mad doctor (i know - not part of the challenge - dont care :P) - quarterstaff destroyed on d5 - continuing unarmed - found mixed vault on D:9 ran away - gave candy to a dwarven child - will edit post with details as I play
    Last edited by ghostjghost; 12-24-2015 at 01:05 PM.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Good start to the few who undertook the challenge!

I started my character on the server:

My character is Santa Claus, a Sword-born Dwarven Wizard who took the Alert and Miser Talents for the Treasure Hunter path. On the night that he was born, the local undead were seen packing away, making him the natural enemy of undead.
    His starting gear was mediocre, which included with a ring of fire resistance and searching, a wand of door creation, potions of healing and charisma, which he drunk immediately, a scroll of magic mapping and identify, and spellbooks of Calm Monster, Teleportation, and Lightning Bolt. Santa Claus went straight to Terinyo, where he got the Keethrax, puppy cave, and Kranach quests. He then went to the outlaw town and managed to earn a point by feeding a beggar and make his first kill a mugger. He also found a Spellbook of Web there.

He then went to the Small Cave to generate a low-level setting, and then to the puppy cave to rescue the tiny dog. Upon reaching the first floor, Santa Claus learned the Web Spell. He also gained a strength point from burden training.
    In PC:2, Santa Claus got to level 3, where he received the Treasure Hunter talent as an aid to get the necessary items for the tasks. It was also the place where he ran into a tension room and cleared it. He went down PC:3 as soon as he found the staircase, as time was running out with only eight hours until day 4. PC:4 was a herb level, where Santa Claus got some pepper petals and some stomafilla herbs, but did not manage to find a stable herb square. He also gained another point of strength from the strained training. In PC:5, Santa Claus went to level 6, and took Potent Aura to start the Spellcasting tree. He also found a spellbook of Knock there. Eating his pepper petals in an attempt to regain some lost HP, Santa Claus went down to PC:6 to rescue the puppy. Luckily, the cute dog was alive, but unfortunately close to the undead vault, which he did not clear. Fortunately, Santa Claus escaped with the cute dog, picking up and equipping a mithril cap on his way out. On his way up, he encountered a comfortable book room, where he lost one of the strength points that he gained. He also found a stable herb square on PC:4, which was full of pepper petals and stomafilla herbs. Once returning the dog to the tiny girl, he gave the bit of candy that the tiny girl gave him to a child.

His next stop was the outlaw town again to see if any of the corpses could give him a bounty worth at least 100 coins. Unfortunately, the only corpses that he was able to obtain were a mugger’s that was only worth 50 coins, and a bandit’s that was only worth 75 coins. Faced with no further leads and hoping to find some loot, Santa Claus went to the Druid Dungeon in the hopes of getting something special. DD:1 was host to a tension room, which Santa Claus cleared with ease. He luckily found an Acid Bolt spellbook which would be a big help when the time came to deal with Keethrax. In DD:2, Santa Claus also gained back the Strength point loss from the book room when Santa Claus gained another level. He also found another spellbook of Acid Bolt. DD:3 had nothing notable, as did DD:4, although he did find another piece of candy.

So, I think Santa Claus has a decent chance of succeeding, if he can get enough stuff to go to the HMV. He has scored three out of the nine points needed for this challenge.

Point 2.pngPoint 1.pngPoint 3.png

Santa Claus is open to anyone who wants to claim him. The server information to access him is below:

Username: adventurers
    Password: adventurers
    Good luck to whoever claims it. And please post if you do.

Uhm, why keethrax when:
    Save the carpenter and give him two hatchets.
    ?
    I think I might be interested in continuing this, kapak.
    How many turns are permitted per player?
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Uhm, why keethrax when:

?
    I think I might be interested in continuing this, kapak.
    How many turns are permitted per player?

Because I wanted to guarantee a corpse for the Guth'alak point, and because I view the rewards more useful(gardening) for a wizard. It's 4000 turns per player.

Oh I absolutely agree about the rewards, I just figured that carpenter can only be reached if you take the healer quest, while guthalak can be given a chaotic corpse any time.
    Or maybe he doesn't accept chaotic corpses if you haven't done the quest for him?

Gardening's needed to fulfil the HMV garden quest, since I still think going to HMV is a real possibility.

Also started a private game with a Candle-born Dwarven Mindcrafter yesterday, will update on its progress.

I'm claiming the Santa Claus char, we'll see if I can reach HMV and/or clear the PC vault.

Good Luck Blasph!

Meanwhile, SantaC, my character, got killed by one of the most bullshit of deaths possible.

His equipment was rather mediocre that consisted of a wedding ring, and a ring of stun resistance, potions of water, booze, and rust removal oil, wands of far slaying and door creation, and a scroll of light. SantaC took the opportunity of getting the puppy cave quests, the healer quests, and the Kranach quest. He did take the opportunity of giving his starting potion of booze to Yggaz to earn his first point, who gave him a potion of carrot juice. Happily, he got another point by immediately giving it to Blup. He then went to the outlaw town, where he made a bandit his first kill. After generating a low-level setting in the SMC, he was waylaid by barbarians and barely escaped with his life.
    Having little time to reach the bottom of the puppy cave in order to generate an alive puppy, SantaC rushed to the cave, where the first level had a ring shop, which had some rings of resistance of various types, damage, and defense +1. Having only a small amount of gold pieces, SantaC proceeded downwards, where he found a neutral altar at level 2 and got the Treasure Hunter talent. PC:3 had a green pool that SantaC left alone. He then proceeded to clear a goblin tension room on PC:4 and got sick from a corpse fiend unlucky hit on PC:5. Prayers failed to resolve this issue, which resulted in a quick death for santaC. An unfair death if I ever saw one.