Thread: Have mixed vaults become more dangerous?

Default Have mixed vaults become more dangerous?

Is it just me, or has the overall difficulty of mixed vaults gone up recently? I just had a character run into a Gorgon (!) on PC:6, and another earlier today saw (and was killed by) a Gray Slayer on UD:2. Both of these seem really out of depth for their respective areas to me. I've seen Lightning Vortices and Werewolf Lords in PC:6 before, I guess, but I don't recall ever seeing anything more dangerous than that.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

If this is correct, gorgons, werewolf lords and gray slayers are all DL 12. I've seen troll chiefs (DL 17) in UD mixed vaults before. What bugs me is the rewards are usually less than from a regular vault because there are less monsters.

Not just you, they do seem a bit tougher but all the other 1 creature vaults are piss easy.

It seems that way, I've also encountered ogre magi in pc 6 in about 1/3 games.

tbh i just avoid mixed vaults since there is too much chance of a werewolf lord or something out of depth
    Wins:
    Gnome Assassin / Dwarven Paladin (ULE) / Ratling Duelist (UNE) / High Elf Archer / Gnomish Wizard x ~5 / Gray Elven Wizard (UCG) - Archmage / Gnomish Weaponsmith / Grey Elf Elementalist / Dwarven Priest / Trollish Barbarian / Drakling Farmer / Mist Elf Wizard / Human Beastfighter / Ratling Archer (UNE) / Gnomish Mindcrafter

Classes Left
    Many!

Mixed vaults have been extremely dangerous for a long while now. I have learned to avoid those in PC entirely until getting to level 14-15.
    It appears that mixed vaults may spawn monsters considerably outside of the dungeon's usual DL, hence as others mentioned - werewolf lords, acid and lightning vortices, gorgons, delven priesthood and princehood etc.
    Worst of all for early mixed vaults are lightning lizards though.

I don't recall what the situation looked like in 1.1.1 or early prereleases but if any changes affected this element of the game, they must have been implemented a long time ago.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Is it just me, or has the overall difficulty of mixed vaults gone up recently? I just had a character run into a Gorgon (!) on PC:6, and another earlier today saw (and was killed by) a Gray Slayer on UD:2. Both of these seem really out of depth
    I think it is just byproduct of changes to monster generation. In 1.1.1 75% of mixed vault was jackals/kobolds/goblins, now probbaly other way around. Unsurprisingly if vault has three times more higher DL monsters, some nasties get generated more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by yhal003 View Post
    If this is correct, gorgons, werewolf lords and gray slayers are all DL 12. I've seen troll chiefs (DL 17) in UD mixed vaults before. What bugs me is the rewards are usually less than from a regular vault because there are less monsters.
    It's not like monsters are connected to DL so tightly as items are. IIRC, character level has influence (dwarven halls has DL close to scitilating caves although I do not recall monster selection being too similar), always a chance out of depths generations. Vault monster in paricular are known to be generated with extra DL [for regular vaults monster have more experience levels, IIRC].
    So PC6 has ~DL6 add bonus for vault, maybe something due to char level (mine chars tend to be higher than level 6), +likely variance and DL12ish is not so out of depth. For troll chief, I don't know, what was char level?

I noticed a large uptick in danger since changes started. I cannot point to the exact release but I've seen at least a few emperor liches in tension rooms in or around 40 in the CoC. I'm guessing changes in experience mostly come from when danger was adjusted in late game. I always skip them until about 10 levels higher than when I open/trigger them.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer