Thread: Trouble with NOTEYE and lag

Default Trouble with NOTEYE and lag

Hey guys, sorry about my english.

Long time adom player here and bought the game on steam last week.
    I never had any major lag issues with framerate, but I already tried everything (ASCII, titles, full screen, 0 detail, etc) and the only way that i can get more than 60fps is in 800x500 resolution.
    Is there something that I'm doing wrong? I play on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite P775D) and I really don't care about titles/graphics, I just want to play smooth. So, what can I do in the config to decrease the lag?

Thanks

I don't think there's a good way to decrease lag at the moment :X it's a feature :P

http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=4193

This also applies to any woes you might have with ASCII mode. I have to agree that a 2D game of ADOMs fidelity dipping below 60 is just inadequate in this day and age :X Hope something can be done.

not sure if this will work for anyone else but I disabled vsync in my video settings and the game runs a LOT smoother, still get the occasional lag, most notably as the game autosaves but it's a lot more bearable than how it is with vsync enabled... that said, I have a tendency to do most things in ascii mode still haha.

Interesting. I just checked with the Steam Overlay built-in FPS meter, and V-Sync doesn't change anything on my machine. Anyone else had better luck?
    Sad part is on 1920x1080 I get 20fps when nothing's happening, that's not good at all. Smaller window gets me ~40fps and that feels fine. I wonder if we can get some more performance gains.
    Last edited by Ravenmore; 02-09-2016 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenmore View Post
    Interesting. I just checked with the Steam Overlay built-in FPS meter, and V-Sync doesn't change anything on my machine. Anyone else had better luck?
    Sad part is on 1920x1080 I get 20fps when nothing's happening, that's not good at all. Smaller window gets me ~40fps and that feels fine. I wonder if we can get some more performance gains.
    Steam is a bit of a beast on it's own to be fair, i've lost count of the amount of games that run so much better when I exit steam, obviously these aren't steam games i'm trying to run, and that's with steam idle in the background. I have also noticed severe performance issues in other games when steam is downloading/updating stuff in the background, even in offline games. have you tried running a different fps meter that isn't inherent to steam and checking the results?

edit:- I just loaded up Fraps for the FPS counter, in a maximised window just looking at the abilities screen at the start of a new game before any items or anything have been generated i'm getting.. 17-19fps. no apparent difference with VSync disabled.

Fullscreen i'm seeing.. 15-17fps, no apparent difference with VSync disabled (but it just feels like it's running smoother).

these tests were done in ascii mode.

tried the same tests again in tilemode and next to no difference in fps between fullscreen and maximised window.

I did notice one interesting thing though, if you are in tiled mode (full-screen) and bring up the (a)bilities menu the menu background is somewhat transparent (you can see your PC and the grass/roads etc, if you then switch to ascii mode while the abilities screen is still up, the background changes to a solid parchment background but the FPS drops down to about 5-6 and doesn't increase until you either z out of the menu or switch the tile-set again, very frustrating.
    Last edited by Darothane; 02-09-2016 at 05:23 PM.

Cool

think i might have solved the issue, (at least for myself).

I looked in the advanced graphics options, (don't usually bother with noteye but my tests had concluded that the problem lay in there.

I went into noteye's 'c' option "Control framerate and cpu usage" and tried limiting the framerate but all that did was stick the fps at 1fps and it didn't move at all, so I then went into the 'r' menu "Select the renderer and flags used by Noteye" and noticed that noteye is "Actually using: Software renderer"

If I push "t" and tell it to use the "New SDL2 Renderer" my fps skyrockets to between 110 and 160fps in ascii mode and switching to tiled mode, it skyrockets up to 200+ fps!

now for an in-game test. Tiled mode still produces around 15-20 fps so i'm going to fiddle a bit with some more settings and see if I can improve it. Ascii mode i'm getting around 50fps at these settings.

Edit:- Nope, after all that messing around i'm still no better off, getting 15-20fps in tiled mode and around 50fps in ascii mode. maybe someone else can play around with it and get better results
    Last edited by Darothane; 02-09-2016 at 06:47 PM.