Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me crown!

Quote Originally Posted by ghwc View Post
    Thanks once more for all the help guys

I've never had this issue before. I'm convinced the root cause is my level. Normally, I if I go for a precrown I do this early and then get crowned as soon as I get extream alignment. This game I got two pre crowns that carried me from level 12 or so in the terinyo area all the way through dwarf town quests. I sorta forgot about getting crowned and maybe I'm just not used to how hard it is to build piety this late
    Level has nothing to do with it.
    If you are used to crown soon after precrown, then piety is quite high due to leftover after precrown. If you play a lot of turns that leftover mostly decays.

Thanks man.

I don't know why, but I always assumed it was harder to build piety (or that you needed more for a crown) depending upon your level.

I'm thinking about live sacrifices here
    here. In my mind, a level 5 character sacrificing a troll for example should/seems to get more piety than a level 20 character. As such, you need more trolls to build piety (so it takes longer).

Is this just in my head?

I believe there is bug report about piety decay issue somewhere. I didn't find it with fast searching, but should be somewhere.

I don't know if it's a bug or a feature that you can't use live sacrifices to get enough piety. It just decays too fast. Normally when I play I get 1 pre-crowning with live sacrifices then I get crowned with live + gold or gold alone. I never manage to get post-crowned or 3rd crowning of any type.

I tried 3rd one once with several artifacts and gold, but didn't manage to get it. So now I just stay with 1 precrowning and crowning and won't ever even try 3rd one.

Quote Originally Posted by ghwc View Post

I'm thinking about live sacrifices here
    here. In my mind, a level 5 character sacrificing a troll for example should/seems to get more piety than a level 20 character. As such, you need more trolls to build piety (so it takes longer).
    Well, piety is not displayed directly so it is hard to be sure for 100%, but general consensus (for whatever it's worth) is that neither char nor monster level does not influence piety. (From my understanding whether you sac balor as lv 1 char or rat as lv50 you gain same amount of piety {saccing balor with level up char so he will gain piety from that, since on level-up char gets small bonus to piety}).

Quote Originally Posted by Shinae View Post
    I believe there is bug report about piety decay issue somewhere. I didn't find it with fast searching, but should be somewhere.

I don't know if it's a bug or a feature that you can't use live sacrifices to get enough piety. It just decays too fast. Normally when I play I get 1 pre-crowning with live sacrifices then I get crowned with live + gold or gold alone. I never manage to get post-crowned or 3rd crowning of any type.

I tried 3rd one once with several artifacts and gold, but didn't manage to get it. So now I just stay with 1 precrowning and crowning and won't ever even try 3rd one.
    Back to guidebook
    Code:
    > First crowning took 100,000 gp
    > First postcrowning took only 40,000 gp (!)
    > Second postcrowning took 180,000 gp
    One precrown and crown combined is less than second pre/postcrown. So you just need more patience/gold.

I don't know where does the idea of saccing artifacts come from, but that is not too wise. Selling them and saccing the money, typically gives more piety (well, unless orc/DE in dwarftown).

With live sacrifices I have spent over 10x time it took to get crowned. I made several food trips to town and used my stomafillia herbs etc and sacced a lot of enemies. Few times I got past very close, but always message changed back to very close after waiting like 3 turns or so. It decayed so fast. Didn't work with live sacrifice, tried this few times. Using steam version win 10. It used to work before sometime before steam version when I played last time.

And yes I have tried with about 200k gold and failed. As a dwarf. Never got absolutely close again. Tried praying anyways and received nothing. So I'm starting to think it's a bug. Maybe I try take a backup from save game if I encounter it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinae View Post
    And yes I have tried with about 200k gold and failed. As a dwarf. Never got absolutely close again. Tried praying anyways and received nothing. So I'm starting to think it's a bug. Maybe I try take a backup from save game if I encounter it again.
    200k at what initial situation?

Overall, it is possible to get pre/post/crowned without correct message about piety level, but that is not 100% event. In such situation I would at least pray ~7 times. In my memory all consecutive prayers have about equal chance to get through.

If you run in such situation posting save on bug section would be most useful for sorting things out.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that contributed above.

I just got my crown!

I dived into the Caverns of Chaos looking for the scythe (to either sell or sac) and came across another alter on D28. By now, I've found some seven league boots and spent about 10 mins real time luring monsters to this alter. It may be that the boots cut down on piety decay or that higher level monsters=more piety but something worked.

I still did not see any update on the piety message (always very close) and was quite surprised when I got crowed. So suprised that I didn't even have time to plan for this (got acid immunity which isn't too bad). I also got the the obsidian quarrel "Thunderstroke" as a gift which I am looking forward to trying out (haven't got this since the revamp!).

Edit: spelling!

Congrats. Nice to hear. I need to do some testing at some point to see if it's just display bug for me too, or do I just really get horrible piety decay.

Benevolent presence rooms are supposed to reduce the cost of all actions that use piety. Has anyone tested if that affects (pre)crownings? If so, they could be pretty useful if you generate one close to an altar.
    "And light there be!"