Thread: Should have been YAVP

Default Should have been YAVP

This was such a stupid, pointless avoidable death that I just had to post. I'll start by saying that this has been one of my best characters in a long while. I had such a great time playing and lots of interesting things happened that made me care about this guy. To die like this is soul crushing...

Early game was great: two pre crowns (Brannalbin's Cloak of Defense and Serpent's Bite) made everything up to end of dwarftown quest a breeze. When I got backstabbing, things were even better. Crowning gift was Thunderstroke which was awesome.

Used bridge building for the first time ever because I didn't have any wand of cold or spells to create ice bridge to get Ring of High Kings. It was trivial with Strength of atlas.

Easy water temple with Thunderstroke.

Fire temple: lost Thunderstroke (didn't return). Couldn't find it again. Killed ACW but then my fire proof blankets burned up and I had to get out of there.

Cat Lord hits hard. Used blessed wand of fireballs 12 times, another normal fireball wand 6 times. Every time he panics I poison wand him. Blast with cold (didn't do much). Ran out of charges. Wand of magic missile. Few bolts of poison he runs off and he dies off screen. Whew! Could NOT paralyse him. Lots of potions of extra healing used!

Air temple done when I found it. Nothing really to write home about. Had forgotten about item destruction but didn't lose anything too important.

Strength of atlas stopped on D43. Had this going pretty much the whole game but after tower of flames (no fireproof blankets) this book burned up

Lost my only half decent crossbow (accuracy +6 +3). I've found nothing better so I'm using normal heavy crossbow.

Scary moment with no food. Ate most of my food cutting down trees and making ammo. Then hit earth temple. To clear temple welcoming party I had to go upstairs to heal quite a few times and ended up with no food. The boss himself corrupted me with poison hands (no suitable gloves for protection either). Left all my cure corruption stuff in dwarftown ogre cave. Mad dash up through shortcut and down the Coc. Was literally eating herbs like curia just to make the last few levels. JUST made it to dwarf town, and was very worried about setting the whole place off (unholy aura). Read my scrolls (1 left at this point) and bought the only food in the shop (two rations). Made it back up to arena (all shops out of stock otherwise would have bought some on the way down) and hung around. Almost starved before the merchants restocked. Had to fight in the area to generate corpses (jackleware helped!). Finally was able to purchase lizards again and bought some bat just incase.

This may be the last play though I do without herbalism (and maybe gardening). Can you believe that I only found one stable patch of stoma this whole game? And because I am stupid I didn't want to waste time gathering the herbs because it takes forever without the skill.

D45 Fire Vault (found 2 scrolls of chaos removal-YES!) BUT, lots of equipment destruction. Didn't find any artifacts until I posted on this forum and got some great advice about reading some scrolls of monster location.

Afterwards, dipped 6 rings of cold resistance hoping for slaying or something good and got some rings of ice. Back to tower of flame to find Thunderstroke. May keep this ring on all of the time to preserve my kit!

Found a fire proof blanket on D48!

Mana temple traps, the first time I have ever used the detect traps skill. I got this from a potion or scroll at some point and because of a lack of skills on an elf archer i was all but forced to train it on level ups. Glad I did! fight was fairly easy and got the orb.

So, went and cleared bug temple to get the potions and scrolls of chaos removal just before heading for D50 and endgame. scary moment with temple welcoming party but I had ice ball spell and with a bit of stair dancing it was OK.

At this point, I realise that I still have quite a few fletchery kits left. I go back to arena to stock up on food and make my way to the forest near darkforge to use these up to boost my quarrel supplies (hoping for some good slaying for D50).

This is where I die. I chopped a tree down, got the log and started to make some quarrels. I'm hungry, should I continue....hmmm yes.

Starving, then crushed by all my possessions.

game over

I feel so stupid.

Even worse, after I died it seems that I generated The Far Slayer at some point. That would have really helped me out considering I was using a normal heavy crossbow for most of the game.

I think most everyone's been crushed to death at least once. It's a learning experience!

Quote Originally Posted by hapro View Post
    I think most everyone's been crushed to death at least once. It's a learning experience!
    I no longer ever carry an inventory that would take me to overburdened with SoA for this very reason.

Starving crush deaths are newer though. Feels like a rather odd side-effect of the new starving mechanic.

I prefer to just kill trees for logs rather than bother with cutting them. Less time wasted and I get some satisfaction out of those annoyances.
    Wins:
    Fated Hurthling Weaponsmith Paragon | Mist Elf Steel Wizard | Gnome Wizard UCG | Dark Elf Beastfighter | Titanium Gnome Bard (w/ L548 giant boar)
    Troll Healer ULE