Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deaths due to usabiliti issues

Default Deaths due to usabiliti issues

Hello, I'm new here and I do not see any bug report forum here, please tell be what is the appropriate place for reporting this.

1. I ofter miss starvation warnings (Steam, ASCII) and my characters die. It can happen at any point of the game, usually when fighting a bunch low-level mobs, so that I do not notice the damage decrease. One second I'm fighting and the next second I see the death screen. All my best characters dies this way, which makes the game impossible to win for me. And marking both Satiated and Starving with the same letter S is also very confusing, I can't find the way to tell a difference except eating something and reading the new satiation level message.

2. When the game decides to make an autosave, this takes a long time, maybe 5 seconds, even more at later game stages. And while the screen is frozen due to the autosave, the game remembers the keys pressed and then reacts to them in order. This is a problem because the sutuation might change every turn, for example, a cat might enter a room and get accidentally killed. And at each autosave I make a couple of keypresses before realizing that the game is not responding.

An the most strange thing is that, obviously being critical issues that can lead to death or failure of game goals, they are not yet fixed. Is it because no one reported them before?

Re: question 2, that is being changed in the next version: http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=3816

Quote Originally Posted by Azuregosa View Post
    Hello, I'm new here and I do not see any bug report forum here, please tell be what is the appropriate place for reporting this.

1. I ofter miss starvation warnings (Steam, ASCII) and my characters die.
    Try changing UI layout (Ctrl+n, m). I play inj more clasic layout, which clearly writes Starving in red letters... There was an option to turn on starvation warning in cfg, but with all sound features going, bleep is probably not going to help.
    I am not fan of minimized version of interface, but if that's a severe issue, some extra warnings about life threatening status could be useful (I would support such RFE).

Bugs go into 'adom issue management' subforum (not 'adom II issue').
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

rkaid, thanks for good news!

Soirana, what exactly does Ctrl+nm mean? Should n be pressed before m or at the same time? I tried both and I end up in the "Necklace of the eye" menu, having no idea what key to press there.

And a bit if off-topic: Soirana, thanks for the great guide in the Steam community!

Quote Originally Posted by Azuregosa View Post
    Soirana, what exactly does Ctrl+nm mean?
    Press Control button and n without releasing it, release it and then press m ( noteye menu means you have not released Ctrl before m). Both other layouts have more information in them.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

Ctrl+nm = Ctrl + n, and then add an 'm' after releasing the control key. Just as an alternate explanation of what Soirana just said.

You may also wish to change the autosave interval or disable it entirely - press :S for that (that's a colon followed by capital "s").
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    I am not fan of minimized version of interface, but if that's a severe issue, some extra warnings about life threatening status could be useful (I would support such RFE).
    I've said this a couple of times, but I think it could make sense to launch an RFE about the classic interface being made the default again.

The minimal interface was supposed to upset old-school players but be a boon for others, but at the moment I have yet to see a post by anyone that prefers it to the classic interface. There are lots of posts asking for the Ctrl+n m combination and even new players like the OP seem to need the information in the classic interface. I might be wrong because maybe they don't post here, but no one seems to be playing with the new one except for players that simply don't know Ctrl+n m...

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    I've said this a couple of times, but I think it could make sense to launch an RFE about the classic interface being made the default again.
    Well, minimalistic interface has
    a) proper tileset integration, while other ones look like ASCII (I don't mind personally, but I don't play in tiles)
    b) various left/right click options on correct fields. (and in tiles that interface shows satiation status very clearly (left top corner))

So, I don't think it would be an easy job to persuade developers to switch, since the new interface works well in tiles (and no one realistically expect new players to play in ASCII, right?).
    Now switching interface automatically when you switch to ASCII, that would be really good idea, since I think ASCII mode and new interface is nothing but potential problems.

I've been playing for years and I honestly think I play better if I'm playing in the ascii version but I prefer to play the tileset version because I've never had problems not noticing hunger or anything like that. I just wanted to give the other perspective. I like the idea of switching the interface automatically when you switch ascii but that could be... counter-intuitive? Maybe there could be a way to combine switching the interface and the graphical mode?